Author Topic: Sand is F'ing scary  (Read 6805 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Sand is F'ing scary
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Today was just a beautiful day.  I decided to take a trip to Sandbridge.  On the way home, I took the road closest to the ocean.  There were patches of sand here and there, which I avoided.  Then I saw it coming- sand all the way across the road,  extending 15-20 feet, perhaps 1 to 2 inches deep.  I figured- no problem, I have driven over sand before.  I will just follow the common sense stuff- reduce speed, go as straight as possible, maintain constant speed, no sudden movements.

I had the crap scared out of me.  The bike was almost uncontrollable and dancing around.  I was all ready to go down, but, amazingly, didn't.  I have driven over sand before, but never that far, never that deep, never that DRY, and never on the Concours.

I think I will avoid all similar occurrences at all costs next time.  :(   Is there something I should have done differently?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Kazairl

Re: Sand is F'ing scary
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:20 PM »
Duck walk it next time? Sand or mud it really doesn't matter a bike is pretty difficult to control over. I live down a dirt road and this time of year I get lots of practice mud bogging on the C14. It's always a challenge. But on the plus side, I'm getting damn good at it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »
Duck walk it next time?

Hmm, I suppose that could be an option for some people, but with short legs, I don't think I could-  I can't really put down both feet at the same time, despite lowering the seat, the suspension, and wearing height-modified boots.  And even with a light touch on both, I assume my angle is so shallow that I would have essentially zero ability to "help" the bike become stable.  Might actually make things worse.

I was truly shocked at how bad the experience was.  I guess a heavy street bike and deep, dry, fine sand is just a disaster combination.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »
Today was just a beautiful day.  I decided to take a trip to Sandbridge.  On the way home, I took the road closest to the ocean.  There were patches of sand here and there, which I avoided.  Then I saw it coming- sand all the way across the road,  extending 15-20 feet, perhaps 1 to 2 inches deep.  I figured- no problem, I have driven over sand before.  I will just follow the common sense stuff- reduce speed, go as straight as possible, maintain constant speed, no sudden movements.

I had the crap scared out of me.  The bike was almost uncontrollable and dancing around.  I was all ready to go down, but, amazingly, didn't.  I have driven over sand before, but never that far, never that deep, never that DRY, and never on the Concours.

I think I will avoid all similar occurrences at all costs next time.  :(   Is there something I should have done differently?

Trip to Sandbridge, ran into sand.....never saw that one coming did you?  ;)   I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn you might like.   

Maybe a 10+ bike with traction control....or stay away from Sandbridge?  Glad you made it back in one piece.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
Trip to Sandbridge, ran into sand.....never saw that one coming did you?  ;)

Well, it is just the name of the beach.  Although, the irony of the name did not escape me.  Have ridden there many times without encountering sand all the way across the roads!

Maybe a 10+ bike with traction control....or stay away from Sandbridge?

It is a 2011, of course.  But the traction control did nada... or at least I think it did nada.  Traction control only really helps with power delivery issues (too much power, not enough power), not stability issues caused by non-power issues.  I am curious to hear from anyone else with similar experiences on the Concours.

I will visit Sandbridge again on the Concours, but not on the road closest to the ocean side!

Glad you made it back in one piece.

Me too.  At least if I did, it would have been nice, soft sand :P   Was also thinking of how unfair it would be to have to go down right on the verge of the new front bars being available.

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
For your next ride in the sand (just add C14 motor).

- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
For your next ride in the sand (just add C14 motor).

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
How fast were you going when you went across the sand? 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »
My only advice is relax and let the bike move, tension will make it much worse.  A good example would be grated bridges, a tense person will be all over the place, ride relax and all you get is small wigles.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:34:45 AM »
Standing on the pegs helps.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »
How fast were you going when you went across the sand?

I think I entered at 20MPH

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »
My only advice is relax and let the bike move, tension will make it much worse.  A good example would be grated bridges, a tense person will be all over the place, ride relax and all you get is small wigles.

I know what you mean on grating.  We have lots of draw bridges, and it is true that there is no need to "fight it".  But in this sand, it felt very different.  On the grating, there is always traction in all directions.  In the sand, it felt like none in any direction.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
+1 on standing up on the pegs. I have ridden in sand a little on my dirt bike and it sucks! I think one or two inches deep on a hard surface may be even worse than deep sand.

As long as you made it home okay is all that matters!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
sounds to me like you did everything right, you made it through. Perhaps you could have reduced speed a bit more, but you made it. The C-14 is actually pretty good for a big bike. It is well balanced and not nearly as top heavy as the C-10. Rather than avoiding that road I would return and spend some time going back and forth through the sandy parts until I felt comfortable. Go slow, stand up with knees bent, knees gripping the tank, light touch on the grips with elbows bent, head up, and just let the girl dance beneath you. Keep your hips loose and let her lead. Oh, and second gear. First gear transition from closed throttle to a little bit of throttle can be snatchy. I rode my '08 over 12 miles of muddy logging road this way and it did fine.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
sounds to me like you did everything right, you made it through. Perhaps you could have reduced speed a bit more, but you made it. The C-14 is actually pretty good for a big bike. It is well balanced and not nearly as top heavy as the C-10. Rather than avoiding that road I would return and spend some time going back and forth through the sandy parts until I felt comfortable.

OMG.  Let's just pretend that is what I will do and move on ;)   Really, though, I would love to practice that, but only with someone else's Concours and a little more body armor!

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I disagree with standing on the pegs.  The bike's center of gravity is all ready high.  Standing only gets it higher.  You need to keep your weight down low to shift around to counter the movement of the bike.  The best approach is to shift your weight as far back on the rear wheel as you can and RELAX!  Let the bike move, it's going to.  Just try to keep a steady speed not too fast, not too slow.  Too fast and the front wheel will carve in the sand.  Too slow and the back wheel will run out from under you. 

I've ridden my connie in mud, sand, rocks, and grass.  All of them are ugly.  I like to ride the river levies here in Missouri and southern Illinois, and you NEVER know what you are going to run into. 

What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
I disagree with standing on the pegs.  The bike's center of gravity is all ready high.  Standing only gets it higher.  You need to keep your weight down low to shift around to counter the movement of the bike.  The best approach is to shift your weight as far back on the rear wheel as you can and RELAX!  Let the bike move, it's going to.  Just try to keep a steady speed not too fast, not too slow.  Too fast and the front wheel will carve in the sand.  Too slow and the back wheel will run out from under you. 

I've ridden my connie in mud, sand, rocks, and grass.  All of them are ugly.  I like to ride the river levies here in Missouri and southern Illinois, and you NEVER know what you are going to run into.

Actually,  standing on the pegs and letting the bike move under you effectively lowers the CG. Spend a little time on a dirt bike in the really loose stuff and you will get a much better feel for it. I do admit standing on my Connie is a rather awkward feeling compared to a dirt bike but all the same principles apply.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »
Max,

Another Virginia Beach native here. I've seen the ocean road at Sandbridge like this many times. Navigating across those drifts on the C-14 would be no fun. Don't stop going west, one street over, keep on going and get to Smithfield, Suffolk area for much better riding than the congested oceanfront.

Now, if we're not riding and want scenery, drink, and great food, the Beach is the place to be! 8)
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
Another Virginia Beach native here. I've seen the ocean road at Sandbridge like this many times. Navigating across those drifts on the C-14 would be no fun. Don't stop going west, one street over, keep on going and get to Smithfield, Suffolk area for much better riding than the congested oceanfront.

Now, if we're not riding and want scenery, drink, and great food, the Beach is the place to be! 8)

Trust me, any other time of the year and I won't go anywhere near the beaches, they are freaking traffic and people nightmare!  Where do they all come from???

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
Soft sand is bad for 2 things IMO... a big heavy street bike and sex... Ouch!  ;)