Author Topic: My New HeliBar Horizon ST Bars  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Steve K

My New HeliBar Horizon ST Bars
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
Well, after wanting these bars since they were announced last year, I was finally able to swing it.  I also ordered the new hydraulic lines for the bike.  The install was actually pretty easy, but the new lines were a pain.  I'd still be at it if I didn't have a vacuum bleeder!  The bars totally transformed the riding experience.  I went on a 380 ride yesterday as a shake down, and other than gas stops rode straight through.  The pains I used to have in my lower back and hips after 100 miles (2" risers on stock bars before this) were gone.  I was totally comfortable, only getting a little sore at about the 350 mark.   

I know some of you will think that the Heli's are too expensive (my wife agrees!) and that this radical of a change to the bike "ruins" it, but the bars were a lot cheaper than a new bike (the BMW 1600 GTL is probably the best match if I were buying new).  And, to tell you the truth, now that the ergos work for me, you'll get my Connie away from me when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: My New HeliBar Horizon ST Bars
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »
You have to do what works for YOU, not anyone else.  I am glad you are happy with them.  Besides, if they do what you want and enable you to greatly enjoy the bike and ride without issues, they are priceless.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:44:34 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
I'll add that you have to use what works for YOU.  If they work then it does not matter what others think.  I know some cringe at the Russell seat but I am in the belief that if you are not comfortable you are not going to ride.  I installed the risers and wedges, and took the wedges off twice because they made my hands feel to close together.  Finally I installed 1" longer bars which moved the grips out and it made a world of difference to ME.  I would have bought the Heli Horizon bars if I could have afforded it and rode enough to justify the cost.  I think they are very well crafted.  Congrats.

I guess Max and I had the same thoughts, it took me a while to get them out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
I guess Max and I had the same thoughts, it took me a while to get them out.

Yes.  I will always choose function over form.  That is not to say I won't work very hard to try and find something that has the best possible form for the function.  A perfect example is the front "canyon" crash bar thread.  The best form is no bars at all.  And the best function is to have hideously ugly, huge, protruding, beastly bars.   The trick is finding the functionality you need with the form you can accept.  And each person has his own limit on each.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc