Author Topic: California Smog Equipment Removal  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: California Smog Equipment Removal
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:58 am »
What VirginiaJim said.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:27 pm »
Actually it doesn't.  Vapor recovery is vapor only, not liquid fuel.  If it becomes saturated to the point of having liquid fuel in it, it needs to be replaced as does whatever caused the condition.

These canisters store vapors when the engine is not running.  With the engine running, the vapors are sucked out and returned to the engine to be burned.  Fuel vapor recovery 101.

Agreed with you. The part I want to remove is the "separator" which is a different component than the canister. All hoses upstream of the canister connect to the separator. There is a "return line" that runs from the separator back to the gas tank. From the owner manual section 10 page 144...

"3. Evaporative Emission Control System (California)
Vapors caused by fuel evaporation in the fuel system are not vented into the atmosphere. Instead, fuel vapors are routed into the running engine to be burned, or stored in a canister when the engine is stopped. Liquid fuel is caught by a vapor separator and returned to the fuel tank."

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »
Related issue: I'm an Oregon resident in the market for a 2012 C14. Is there an easy way to know if a bike has California smog equipment?
  When new yes, simply reach in under where the right side glove box would be if Kawasaki had decided to put one on each
side, you can feel the vapor canister if it has one. It has a rubber strap around its middle holding it place. When used, same thing unless a previous owner removed it   ??? .

...... Liquid fuel is caught by a vapor separator and returned to the fuel tank."

Mark

Thanks Mark, you saved me a bunch of typing.  :goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:18 pm »
Agreed with you. The part I want to remove is the "separator" which is a different component than the canister. All hoses upstream of the canister connect to the separator. There is a "return line" that runs from the separator back to the gas tank. From the owner manual section 10 page 144...

"3. Evaporative Emission Control System (California)
Vapors caused by fuel evaporation in the fuel system are not vented into the atmosphere. Instead, fuel vapors are routed into the running engine to be burned, or stored in a canister when the engine is stopped. Liquid fuel is caught by a vapor separator and returned to the fuel tank."

Mark

Ahhhh....
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »
All done now.

I removed the canister and separator. I also removed the return hose that runs from the separator back to the fuel tank (I capped the fitting on the tank). I plugged the 2 hoses that run to the intake manifold. I joined the breather hose that started at the tank then went to the separator to the hose that went from the separator to the canister. I put a small plastic automotive fuel filter on the open end of the breather hose. Probably overkill but why not?

Every is working fine with no issues. This allowed me to install Zteve's heat blocker without modification which was my original goal.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?