Author Topic: Are you afraid of heights?  (Read 5696 times)

Offline booger

Re: Are you afraid of heights?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:36:11 am »
Heights don't bother me in the least...........until I get above 3'.

I've even done hypnotism, to no avail.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »
why no plan B? I.E. people base jump of of stuff like that all the time! Wouldn't you think having a chute with would be worth the extra weight?

I was wondering about that too. A few years back some guy climbed one of the guide wires on one of those 2000' monsters then based jumped off. But if your on the tower itself you would need to push off hard to clear the tower to be able to open the chute. That's not going to happen if you fall accidentally. I guess if you have the nerve and skill to do that job you would rarely make a mistake. I bet having one of those guys fall is extremely rare.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
with the curvature of the horizon these were shot with a pretty wide lens.  I believe the distance though still significant isn't nearly as bad as it seems in the photo's.  For example if you look at the clamp on the near side of the second picture it is maybe triple the size of the clamp on the opposite side. 

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 11:20:59 am »
Heights are one of the triggers for my cataplexy. It's directly tied to my narcolepsy that I've suffered with for the last 15 or so years.
Cataplexy is the sudden episode of loss of muscle tone/control associated with usually some type of emotion. Happens to some people when they sneeze or even laugh. Freaking sucks!!!!

The worst trigger is tall bridges, only if I'm the one driving over it. I'm fine as a passenger for some strange reason. I have to really concentrate to keep control if one comes on. Had it happen once riding the bike on the Houston ship channel bridge. Now I have to really plan out my trips carefully.

Definitly can't take I-10 from Texas to Destin, Florida to see family. That makes me cross the bridge at Lake Charles and then again in Baton Rouge.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 11:48:45 am »
Snip..
I'm crazy, I know.
But as Nosmo said It's not the height or the fall that is scarey its the sudden stop at the end. which brings me to the next point: why no plan B? I.E. people base jump of of stuff like that all the time! Wouldn't you think having a chute with would be worth the extra weight?

Hell yeah!  ;D I wouldn't want to climb THAT far down!  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:52 pm »
I LOVE heights.
Give me a tower, a crane or a turbine and I will climb it. I grew up near a 150 ft. ranger tower that had a vertical ladder that was used to get to the top. The view was awesome, before all the houses were built. I was in Texas and got rigged up and went up in a 300 ft. Wind Turbine 4 yrs ago. What a view, the Turbine guy said that from the top you could see 100 miles in any direction. What a rush.
Hell Yes, give something to climb, and I am there.
Oh yea, and ride safe also.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »
I'm not afraid of heights.  I'm afraid of the DEPTHS under the heights, through which I will fall if I go over.  1600 feet doesn't bother me as much as 50 feet (although you won't find me up there).  From 1600, death is certain, in a few seconds.  From 50, quadraplegia or other crippling and disabling injuries are equally likely followed by a lifetime of suffering.  No thanks.

Me - exactly this.  I'm not afraid of death, but living life as a quad.... shudder.  No thanks.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 11:11:22 am »
Easy climb in the description.
https://youtu.be/xusNiC0v874
Do not try to live forever on this earth. You will not succeed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 11:17:38 am »
I can climb up easy enough, it's getting down that gives me problems as I usually freeze to the surface and it takes awhile for me to unfreeze enough to come down.
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.