Author Topic: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever  (Read 6239 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Finally got my first nail in a tire ever
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2018, 04:57:33 pm »
BTW- I have found that to be the hardest part of plugging tires, following the original path of the nail (or whatever it was) that punctured the tire. If the nail went in at, say, 30 degrees, and you are trying to punch the plug in perpendicular to the tire, 1) it will not go and 2) you have no idea what the puncture path was once the object was removed. It really does pay to pay attention to the angle of entry

That is a very good point.  Had I removed it and THEN discovered it was leaking, with that type of strange angle, and without photographs, plugging would have been almost impossible.  Meaning that patching would be the only remaining option to repair (which is expensive and complicated).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
Not that it matters, but while cleaning up today, I found the nail.  I wanted a pic in the tire, but this is all I have now.   Probably 300 more miles and there is still no air loss.

AND I now have experienced my very first flat tire on a motorcycle, ever.  After driving to Richmond for a meeting, left the meeting headed to Mom's house for a visit, the bike felt strange, a few blocks later the alarms went off- rear tire pressure gone.  Pulled into an empty business lot and started looking.  Sure enough, a tiny metal something in the center of the rear tread, flush.  No head, and I had nothing I could use to pull it.  So I opened the plug kit I have carried around for something like 20 years (a Slime kit) and used the reamer to test the metal and it just pushed all the way in and into the wheel.  Reamed, threaded rope, put rubber cement in hole then on rope, inserted rope, pulled out tool, let sit 20 min until Mom arrived with a compressor from her neighbor, cut off excess.   It worked!    It held pressure as I followed mom to her place.  It then held for the 100 miles home.  Took interstate instead, since shorter/faster/more help available, and kept loaned compressor from her neighbor (who didn't care).

This could have been so much worse- it could have been 50 miles from nowhere.  It could have been at night.  I could have had no plug kit.  The cement could have been dried out.  I could have failed at plugging.  I could have had something I couldn't remove.  I could have had something in the tire I couldn't find.  So I have to think I did well, considering I didn't really know what I was doing and had no way to fill the tire, and lost only an hour of time.

So, second nail, first flat, and first plugging.  I suppose I should carry CO2 or micro-compressor or something now.  The tires are nearly toast anyway, so I will order a set tomorrow.  But the age-old "is it safe to ride more" discussion keeps running through my head....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2019, 11:56:47 am »
I suppose I should carry CO2 or micro-compressor or something now. 

Nah, it'll never happen again. Just continue on the way you did before.  ::) ::) ::)