Author Topic: A question about wedges  (Read 4702 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

A question about wedges
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
I did a search and was going to post in the Murphs wedge topic but the forum asked me if I wanted to post on a thread that is over 120 days old.

Anyway, does anyone make a wedge that slants the bars closer to the rider without too much rise?  I saw the sportour risers that bring the bars back some before rising but don't really need a rise.  I am pretty comfortable if I sit up close to the tank but would prefer to be back an inch or two.

Thanks.  I am finding a lot of information on this site and absorbing as much as I can.  I did jump on the group buy for canyon bars.  Still gotta figure out where to mount my GPS and wire up my heated gear.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline So Cal Joe

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline rcannon409

Re: A question about wedges
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
The wedges fix the odd angle the stock grips sit at.  In a round-abotu way they feel closer since they are slightly closer together with the wedges in place.   I love mine and they are the best mod I made to my bike. My hands are in the perfect position.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
I have 2 inch risers and murphs wedges installed and i am now comfortable.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
Making the wedges tilt the bars back has very little effect, however tilting them toward the steering bearing had a more pronounced effect because the bars are longer in that plane. It moves them to the rear slightly and raises the bar-ends. This photo shows the effect on the bar-ends.

Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Flathead

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Making the wedges tilt the bars back has very little effect, however tilting them toward the steering bearing had a more pronounced effect because the bars are longer in that plane. It moves them to the rear slightly and raises the bar-ends. This photo shows the effect on the bar-ends.

Thanks Phil... Do you possibly have a pic looking straight down?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
I did a search and was going to post in the Murphs wedge topic but the forum asked me if I wanted to post on a thread that is over 120 days old.

I think that warning is INCREDIBLY stupid, myself.  It makes far more sense to post to an existing thread, even an old one, than create yet another thread.  But it is what it is!

Anyway, does anyone make a wedge that slants the bars closer to the rider without too much rise?  I saw the sportour risers that bring the bars back some before rising but don't really need a rise.  I am pretty comfortable if I sit up close to the tank but would prefer to be back an inch or two.

I don't think so.  As far as I am aware, there are only one type of "wedges" made, and those are sold by Murph now.  They do bring the bars "up" more (closer together).  Since the bar risers are mounted on a slant, this movement actually equates to further back and up a bit... but they also change the ANGLE of the bar grips, which I think it is major bit of magic that seems to help those of use with carpal tunnel, RSI, tendonitis, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
FLATHEAD: No, I never took a photo from overhead.

Loosening the hold-down bolts and putting a pencil under the stacchion will give a rough idea of the effect the wedges give. Don't drive it that way! I still have the first wedge that tilts the bars back but I don't have any washers to go with them. They really didn't offer any improvment to me so I kept experimenting.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »
I still have the first wedge that tilts the bars back but I don't have any washers to go with them. They really didn't offer any improvement to me so I kept experimenting.

Well, your experimentation paid off, because the results somehow fixed my hand and forearm problems by about 95%.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  Phil, I wish I had to equipment to experiment with the bar position. 

I guess I could make parts out of wood just to see how it feels when I am sitting on the center stand before I spend $175 to $750 making the changes to the bars.

I feel like I like the height of the bars is fine.  I really just want them closer to me.

Also, thanks for the GPS links.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Flathead

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
Thanks Phil