Author Topic: Pikes Peak Ride  (Read 5112 times)

Offline BlueC14

Re: Pikes Peak Ride
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 11:20:44 am »
Wow!  What a great forum; a lot of fantastic information - thanks to all!

We will be in CO July 1- 6, riding up from Albuquerque June 29 and back down on the 6th.  Our "base camp" is Crested Butte but we plan on doing day rides at least 3 days of that time.  I would say that if everyone goes out as a group we're most comfortable with 200 mls or less.  There is a couple of us that are more likely to take out on a longer haul if the others decide to stay put.  I think the two of us who had thought about doing Pikes Peak have ultimately decided that it might be a bit much considering the miles we would have to cover - to and from.

Again, thanks for the great info and please keep it coming.  We've spent time planning the ride there and the ride back but no so much on the rides once there - ie., day rides.
Dreamed of being a Harley guy but Connie called me ...
1987 Honda Helix 250cc Scooter - bought/started riding in 2009 (sold)
2010 Kawa Concours14 / Ronnie's Highway Pegs, Kaoko Throttle Lock

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 11:58:12 pm »
Wow!  What a great forum; a lot of fantastic information - thanks to all!

We will be in CO July 1- 6, riding up from Albuquerque June 29 and back down on the 6th.  Our "base camp" is Crested Butte but we plan on doing day rides at least 3 days of that time.  I would say that if everyone goes out as a group we're most comfortable with 200 mls or less.  There is a couple of us that are more likely to take out on a longer haul if the others decide to stay put.  I think the two of us who had thought about doing Pikes Peak have ultimately decided that it might be a bit much considering the miles we would have to cover - to and from.

Again, thanks for the great info and please keep it coming.  We've spent time planning the ride there and the ride back but no so much on the rides once there - ie., day rides.

Welcome to my back yard! You gotta do North Pass on 114 going south from Highway 50 to the east of Gunnison.
Then there's 92 the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison.
149 through Lake City
550 the "Million Dollar" highway
145 past Telluride
133 to Carbondale and then 82  over Independence pass
You just can't lose riding anywhere in the vicinity of Crested Butte

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 08:15:25 am »
Welcome to my back yard! You gotta do North Pass on 114 going south from Highway 50 to the east of Gunnison.
Then there's 92 the north rim of the black canyon of the Gunnison.
149 through Lake City
550 the "Million Dollar" highway
145 past Telluride
133 to Carbondale and then 82  over Independence pass
You just can't lose riding anywhere in the vicinity of Crested Butte

Yep!  That pretty much says it all! :chugbeer:

'02 C-10