Author Topic: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe  (Read 23918 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Another Coast- To- Coast in 50 hours.... maybe
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »
I've always considered a ride to be an adventure. I would have liked to have shared your failure. 8)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 09:09:59 pm »
Failure my ass.  If you had continued to ride in those conditions, that would have been failure.  I would like to get a pic of that path and fancy headgear though.  Get some rest and I'll give ya a ring tomorow.  As I was coming home today I though the "Aroma of Tacoma" had returned, but then I remembered you were due in today ;D  I'd have met ya but I was busy teaching a level 2 dirt class, I was having fun in the dirt :o
And a big Welcome back Brian :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »
Indeed, I agree with Chet!  :thumbs:

Welcome back to the PNW Brian, it's supposed to be dry all week, enjoy it!  :)   :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2012, 06:22:01 am »
Whatta baby! A little hail wouldn't have hurt ya none/much, you had a helmet on din't ya?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:13 am »

Then I did a terrible thing-  I grabbed a hotel in Sturgis, SD. Yep, I am a little self loathing as I tell this story but it is the truth. When I got to the town line, the town officials made me wear a do- rag that said 'Cruisers Rule' just to cross over the town line. I did manage to rent an eye patch and parrot though so at least people thought I was a pirate rather than.... one of the other group of people who wear do- rags. There was a railroad track right down the middle of 'Main st.' and I got to hear a bunch of loud, slow, badly running, clanking, knocking vehicles. I saw one train also.

Brian

How did the Parrot do in the hail?  ;)
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2012, 11:13:41 am »
Yep, and a visor too- you are correct and I am a wuss. I feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants although she might consider me a bit beneath her at the moment. Oh well, at least Kirby can say "I told you so" when I get home.

Brian

Whatta baby! A little hail wouldn't have hurt ya none/much, you had a helmet on din't ya?    ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
Yep, and a visor too- you are correct and I am a wuss. I feel like Mary Jane Tinklepants although she might consider me a bit beneath her at the moment. Oh well, at least Kirby can say "I told you so" when I get home.

Brian

Glad you made it.  I wussed out in a hail storm once too, though I was on a dirt bike in the desert, and I had to ride for almost a mile to get to cover.  It really hurts on the backs of the hands and forearms.

How long are you planning on hanging around this side of the continent?  Any rides planned yet?  Next week I'm hoping to wrap up a couple months of hell week, and take a few days off.  I've almost got my C14 back together, and will be looking to add some more miles to the odometer.  Since the weather forecasts are all over the place as of last night, anything goes with that.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:07 pm »
I was lucky in that I was already in a gas station and under a canopy when that whole mess started so I never even got wet.

I will be here for the next two weeks. No plans for doing anything at all here including riding but I may be open to something going on. I do plan on mounting a temporary aux. fuel cell and re-working the secondary GPS mount for the trip home. I am trying to hunt down fuel line, AN fittings and connectors locally right now. Who knows, if those mods. go well I might be able to make the trip home in a couple of days. :-)

Brian

Glad you made it.  I wussed out in a hail storm once too, though I was on a dirt bike in the desert, and I had to ride for almost a mile to get to cover.  It really hurts on the backs of the hands and forearms.

How long are you planning on hanging around this side of the continent?  Any rides planned yet?  Next week I'm hoping to wrap up a couple months of hell week, and take a few days off.  I've almost got my C14 back together, and will be looking to add some more miles to the odometer.  Since the weather forecasts are all over the place as of last night, anything goes with that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:05 pm »
saw that storm on the news when your wife posted about it. glad you are alright and did the sensible thing!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »
I was lucky in that I was already in a gas station and under a canopy when that whole mess started so I never even got wet.

I am trying to hunt down fuel line, AN fittings and connectors locally right now. Who knows, if those mods. go well I might be able to make the trip home in a couple of days. :-)

Brian

Any race car builders/suppliers in the area?  I'm sure SOP would know.

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »
Dereck Cope has a shop in Spanaway, he only won the Daytona 500 many years ago!  Best bet tho would be a NAPA shop.  Brian, does your son have the tools ya need?  If not I'm only 30-40 minutes away from Tacoma, pretty tied up Tuesday, but Monday afternoon is free, not sure about Wednesday or Thursday, should be available.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »
Good to know Chet, thanks. I am going to stop NAPA (good idea BTW) this afternoon and see if I can put together a 'aux. fuel tank plumbing kit'. If that does not work, I think I will go to Summit racing and get the parts sent here.

Tools- nope, and no place to work either. The plan is to buy enough tools to do the job and work on it in front of the apt. bldg. as well as on the deck in the back. The plan is also to be stealthy but past experience says that the place will smell like a fuel dump for about two days. I also plan on changing the oil in the parking lot.... discreetly. :-)  I may have to contact you regarding some or all of this though.

Brian

Dereck Cope has a shop in Spanaway, he only won the Daytona 500 many years ago!  Best bet tho would be a NAPA shop.  Brian, does your son have the tools ya need?  If not I'm only 30-40 minutes away from Tacoma, pretty tied up Tuesday, but Monday afternoon is free, not sure about Wednesday or Thursday, should be available.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59:34 am »
Chet, what about contacting Dan, where we all met for the COG tech session?  He's not far from there, has a full shop, and would probably be happy to offer some shop resources (covered space, tools, colorful chit chat, etc.).
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Son of Pappy

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »
Chet, what about contacting Dan, where we all met for the COG tech session?  He's not far from there, has a full shop, and would probably be happy to offer some shop resources (covered space, tools, colorful chit chat, etc.).
I'd do that, but I actually have everything needed here, short of the bulkhead fittings :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:06 am »
Thanks guys. I have most of the fuel system components needed, including the bulkhead fittings (too long but they will work) but I am waiting for the quick disconnect and fuel line. I may take you up on your offer Chet as I am rethinking doing this in the parking lot of an apartment building. The parts should be in by the end of this week and after that maybe I can stop by your place and tinker around with the tank.

Brian

I'd do that, but I actually have everything needed here, short of the bulkhead fittings :)