Author Topic: Fork leak?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline tjhess74

Re: Fork leak?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:56:50 pm »
I had a leaky left fork too. I replaced the seals twice before I realized something else was wrong. Upon closer inspection, I saw I had a super small vertical scratch in the tube that was allowing fluid bypass. I used some fine emory cloth and got her back to normal.  There have been no leaks since!
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:01 pm »
I had a leaky left fork too. I replaced the seals twice before I realized something else was wrong. Upon closer inspection, I saw I had a super small vertical scratch in the tube that was allowing fluid bypass. I used some fine emory cloth and got her back to normal.  There have been no leaks since!

That is one of my concerns about that rough area I discovered that would not clean.  I hadn't researched polishing the area yet- my initial thought would be I could do more damage than just leaving it alone.  My "Sealmate" should arrive tomorrow and I will attempt to clean the seals as soon as possible, if I can figure out how to remove the damn "brake hose clamps" on the fender.  The factory manual is utterly unhelpful, it just says "remove" them with no indication as to how.  I pulled and pulled and twisted and rocked and pulled and gave up, convinced I would break them.  A mechanic, I am not.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:31 am »
That is one of my concerns about that rough area I discovered that would not clean.  I hadn't researched polishing the area yet- my initial thought would be I could do more damage than just leaving it alone.  My "Sealmate" should arrive tomorrow and I will attempt to clean the seals as soon as possible, if I can figure out how to remove the damn "brake hose clamps" on the fender.  The factory manual is utterly unhelpful, it just says "remove" them with no indication as to how.  I pulled and pulled and twisted and rocked and pulled and gave up, convinced I would break them.  A mechanic, I am not.
IIRC....got behind it (tire side) with a needle nose.  Have to squeeze it together to slip it thru hole.  Also why I cut them off afterwards and use black zip ties to hold hose now.  Or....after you commit to taking the things off your bike, just cut them where they hold the hose so they no longer are holding the hose.  Then you are able to get fender off and you can deal with a suitable replacement. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 06:50:50 am »
I cut mine off (easy boys) and left them off. Hoses don't flop around. If you're anal and have to have them you can always buy a bag of spares.
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline fartymarty

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:41:53 am »
I broke off my hose retaining clips as well. I just got mad at them and yanked 'em off. IIRC the "best" way to remove them is to (remove the wheel?), then place a socket (5mm???) over the nubs that stick through while pulling from the outside. The "better" way (my way  :) ) is to just break them off and then drill another hole about 1/4 inch lower than the clip hole and run a cable tie through both holes and cinch it down and trim. Now you'll have a vertical band that you can easily slip a new cable tie through and around the hose (not cinched down tight) when ever you need to remove the fender.  gPink's way might just be good enough, but I have two sets of wires going down each side that need to be secured as well so I like having an attach point there.

Yeah, my right seal is leaking too now at 75+k. Are seals considered wear items like brake pads?...or are they covered under warranty?

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:45 pm »

Yeah, my right seal is leaking too now at 75+k. Are seals considered wear items like brake pads?...or are they covered under warranty?

I've always considered them a wear item. Although I know someone in Miami that had them replaced under warranty around the 100K mark.

So it's anybody's guess.

Cliff

2008 C14, 200,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad I am not the ONLY one who has had issues trying to remove those damn clips!  I am the type of person who would really want to not damage them/remove them and replace them with just ties.  The Sealmate is in my hand now (wow it is thin/flimsy), I am not sure I can use it with the fender in the way, but I think I will try and post back....

As for the seals, I am going to guess they might consider that a wear item, but like others have said, who knows?  I figure it is certainly worth trying a $7 tool and 30 minutes to see if I can fix it myself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad I am not the ONLY one who has had issues trying to remove those damn clips!  I am the type of person who would really want to not damage them/remove them and replace them with just ties.  The Sealmate is in my hand now (wow it is thin/flimsy), I am not sure I can use it with the fender in the way, but I think I will try and post back....

That didn't take long.  I was able to do the procedure with just removing the fender bolts and leaving it attached to the brake lines.  I could then push it enough out of the way.  The tool is really flimsy and thin (maybe 1/3 tthe thickness of a credit card) and easily damaged.  Cleaned forks again, moved dust covers down using a small flat screwdriver.  Cleaned above where they were, used the tool twice on each seal.  First attempt nearly ruined the tool- it is too fragile to try and push up the hooked end so tried again with the larger body of the tool and then rocked it to feed the hook into the seal.  Spun it around twice and pulled out and cleaned then repeated then did other side.

It is fun to watch people actually compress the forks using their body on the videos (usually small bikes).  That ain't happening with my 150lbs and the Concours, so I had to bolt the fenders back on and ride it, slamming on the brakes repeatedly to compress the suspension.  After several I stopped and checked and there was still fluid.  Cleaned that off and did it again another 15 times or so and it doesn't seem to be leaking any more!  Used tool to clean dust covers, cleaned forks, then pushed the seals back and finished up. 

I won't know if this really worked until a real ride this weekend, but so far, it seems like it might be the real deal.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »
I broke off my hose retaining clips as well. I just got mad at them and yanked 'em off. IIRC the "best" way to remove them is to (remove the wheel?), then place a socket (5mm???) over the nubs that stick through while pulling from the outside. The "better" way (my way  :) ) is to just break them off and then drill another hole about 1/4 inch lower than the clip hole and run a cable tie through both holes and cinch it down and trim. Now you'll have a vertical band that you can easily slip a new cable tie through and around the hose (not cinched down tight) when ever you need to remove the fender.  gPink's way might just be good enough, but I have two sets of wires going down each side that need to be secured as well so I like having an attach point there.

Being new to the Concours, I have no experience with this issue. Just looking at the clips on mine, it looks like a zip tie push pin anchor would work if someone doesn't want to drill holes in their fender. the ones pictured below would allow you to clip and replace the zip tie without removing the anchor

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 05:26:42 pm »
Being new to the Concours, I have no experience with this issue. Just looking at the clips on mine, it looks like a zip tie push pin anchor would work if someone doesn't want to drill holes in their fender. the ones pictured below would allow you to clip and replace the zip tie without removing the anchor

Those are neat

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 09:00:12 pm »
I won't know if this really worked until a real ride this weekend, but so far, it seems like it might be the real deal.

It is the real deal!!  $7 plastic strip, 30 min of fiddling, and all fixed!  I would say that is a total success.  Highly recommend.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:26 am »
Maybe you run out of oil?  ;D
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 06:41:44 am »
 :)
Thank God for good men willing to do extreme violence.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:14 am »
 :rotflmao: exactly..
"LOCTITE┬«"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:31 am »
Hardy, har, har...

I really don't know how much oil was lost.  I can't tell any difference with the handling.  I am guessing I lost maybe 2 to 4cc.