Author Topic: Fork leak?  (Read 5509 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Fork leak?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:21 am »
You've got a 2011 and it's now 2018.  You probably need to get the fluid changed and new seals.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 02:06:43 pm »
Ug.  Left fork leaking on 01-12-2020.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 with the cleaning, then the plastic tool.  Tested and it seemed OK.  Then 02-16-2020, leaking again.  Cleaned it again.  And today it is leaking AGAIN.  Ug.  Going out now to clean it yet again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 04:22:05 pm »
Ug.  Left fork leaking on 01-12-2020.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 with the cleaning, then the plastic tool.  Tested and it seemed OK.  Then 02-16-2020, leaking again.  Cleaned it again.  And today it is leaking AGAIN.  Ug.  Going out now to clean it yet again.
Might be time to polish the tubes and replace the seals.  Good luck!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 07:00:40 pm »
well, if there are no visible nicks.. polishing anything is not really gonna do anything but waste time..  just mentioning that... cleaning seals, using solvents and "seal friendly pokey scrapers" may help.. but I'm still on my OEM's from '07 issue, never dicked with them ever.. , always reconsider every time I think "I SHOULD" replace fork oil.. hell.   I guess I'm just lucky

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rubber_Snake

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:46 pm »
well, if there are no visible nicks.. polishing anything is not really gonna do anything but waste time..  just mentioning that... cleaning seals, using solvents and "seal friendly pokey scrapers" may help.. but I'm still on my OEM's from '07 issue, never dicked with them ever.. , always reconsider every time I think "I SHOULD" replace fork oil.. hell.   I guess I'm just lucky
Agreed.  My experience from traveling to Alaska last year on the dirty, muddy, sloshy roads did my tubes in.  They were scratched up and needed attention.  My right seal had been seeping before the trip and I used the sealmate to remove dirt.  They seemed to work for a while, but ultimately they gave out during the trip.  I suspect that if you’re constantly having to use the sealmate to clean your seals, and they begin leaking again and again, the seals are done and/or the tubes need a good polish. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 05:48:33 am »
The forks are very smooth, with the exception of a little rough spot on both of them, in the front at the very bottom.  That area that is impossible to see, and really difficult to get to.  I tried using bug/tar remover, brake cleaner, and several other chemicals and nothing removes it.  So perhaps it is damage in the metal?  My friend has one of those "cameras on a snake", maybe I can borrow it so I can see it.  I have never taken the fender all the way off, just move it around for access, which is not enough to see.  I think the right brake hose clamp is an issue the one time I thought about removing it completely.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TireguyfromMA

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:11 pm »
The SealMates are pretty good but if you want a really trick tool for cleaning dirt out of your oil seals you should try the Seal Doctor from Risk Racing.  I've fixed fork seal leaks on three bikes with these now...love em.  I think they are easier to use than the SealMate and do a better job.

https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 03:21:52 am »
I would think that cleaning out the seals, if they are leaking from debris, should be done as soon as possible in case the debris damages the seal permanently.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! 2008 C14 Moved on to a new home, 2016 RM traded in.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 05:55:25 am »
The SealMates are pretty good but if you want a really trick tool for cleaning dirt out of your oil seals you should try the Seal Doctor from Risk Racing.  I've fixed fork seal leaks on three bikes with these now...love em.  I think they are easier to use than the SealMate and do a better job.

https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

That does look like a much better design that is easier to use.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 06:01:17 am »
I would think that cleaning out the seals, if they are leaking from debris, should be done as soon as possible in case the debris damages the seal permanently.

Agreed.  It seems it is important to inspect and clean the fork tubes regularly, too.  Something I suspect most of us don't do.  I learned my lesson, and I hope my seals aren't permanently damaged.  I wish it were easier- it is very difficult to get to the inside and front of the tube, especially the lower sections.  I have been working on my technique now.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 02:27:26 pm »
That does look like a much better design that is easier to use.

$25.....?????????

30 seconds with a pair of sharp scissors, and a discarded 2 liter pop bottle, and I can make a dozen... and have a drink while doing so...    :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rubber_Snake

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »
$25.....?????????

30 seconds with a pair of sharp scissors, and a discarded 2 liter pop bottle, and I can make a dozen... and have a drink while doing so...    :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
$15 on eBay or $9 if you want to wait for China shipping.  Much easier to use as getting around the fender is a pain, but doable.  Seal Mates are $6-8 on eBay.  But you certainly can make your own with a 2 liter bottle, pretty easily.  I wouldn’t spend $25 but would consider $15.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2020, 11:52:14 am »
how many miles?  The selamate did wonders until the 110k mark when I replaced the oil and seals.

-David
Dunwoody, GA

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:53 pm »
how many miles?

If you are asking me, first incident was 32K miles.  Last was 44K miles.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:15 pm »
You need to ride it more, Max!