Author Topic: Dismantling a stebel nautilus (SUCCESSS !!! SEE PICS !)  (Read 6456 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Dismantling a stebel nautilus (SUCCESSS !!! SEE PICS !)
« on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »
Ordered a stebel nautilus and it arrived today. I wanted to separate the compressor from the horn. But there is a big plastic piece all around and I could not get the tabs that everyone talks about. I did not try too much as I was afraid to break. Any tips?

EDIT: I tried again last night. I think I see the tab that on the top that holds it, but it appears there is lot of glue like stuff around it. I think I broke the tab whil trying to pry it .... :( Do you yank the compressor down to remove it?

EDIT2: Looks like you push it up to remove it, but the plastic piece (shroud) on top prevents it from being pushed up. I will try to post some pictures of the new horn. It appears I might have the cut the shroud out so that the compressor can slide out...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:37:26 PM by Awaz »
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline RBX QB

Re: Dismantling a stebel nautilus
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Mine was glued together (generic Stebel), so I just cut the thing.

Then I ended up putting in a larger 2-trumpet horn and the "Stebel" is relaxing in the garage.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:34:56 AM »
Pics would be awesome. I ran into this same issue when I installed mine. Seems mine had a heavier duty cover on it than some of the older posts had shown.

Ended up just putting the whole thing inside the right fairing, but it's sure loud to the driver right there. I'd really like to be able to mount the horn in a more ideal spot to wake the cagers without blasting me at the same time.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Mine was glued together (generic Stebel), so I just cut the thing.

Then I ended up putting in a larger 2-trumpet horn and the "Stebel" is relaxing in the garage.

Did you use the compressor though that came with the stebel? Or did you pitch the whole thing?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
I put some pictures. The first two pictures I tried to outline where the shroud is and perhaps where to cut to free the compressor from the horn. It appears that the horn is clamped on like it did on older posts, but the shround now creates an additional layer on top of it.

EDIT: Sorry about the tiny letters in first picture. Did not realize the font.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
Did you use the compressor though that came with the stebel? Or did you pitch the whole thing?

I would have... Never even got to the point of re-piping from the compressor to the horn. I seem to recall someone has done this exact thing, just can't recall if it was on the pre-crash forum or not. They placed the compressor up in the fairings and mounted the horn down towards the forks, which is the best place to put the sound in front of the bike. I may eventually try to recall what that other person did, as I'd like the horns to not be behind the tupperware.

I put some pictures. The first two pictures I tried to outline where the shroud is and perhaps where to cut to free the compressor from the horn. It appears that the horn is clamped on like it did on older posts, but the shround now creates an additional layer on top of it.

EDIT: Sorry about the tiny letters in first picture. Did not realize the font.

That Stebel has a LOT more shroud than mine did. I think mine is the Wolo BadBoy from Harbor Freight. Put the same thing on my Ducati and love it. These things may be small, but they definitely work.
2011 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
In the quest for knowledge, one good stebel nautilus is biting the dust. The compressor is no longer clamped to the horn, but rather solidly glued to it !!! There is no way to separate the two. My quest still continues to break the bond, but failed effort so far. I may be ordering another one from Murph here soon.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Re: Dismantling a stebel nautilus (SUCCESSS !!! SEE PICS !)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
So it is definite that anymore, the compressor is glued to the horn. So, it is NOT WORTH to try to remove it. But since I went down the path, I decided to continue. First, I used a dremel to cut out the outer shroud. I tried to preserve the pieces that went over the horn, but it was getting in the way. I first tried to cut the portion of shroud that was on top of the compressor and was hoping the compressor will slide out from the top once that piece is gone - NEGATIVE ! So, more dremel tool and I got the whole shroud cut out - it was glued to the real horn and compressor top. And the fun begins !! I pry and pry, but no give! I looked closely where the compressor nipple goes into the horn and I noticed it was glued tight !!! For next hour,  I pryed, cut, but no give. Then I started to pry with a screwdriver towards the top and lo and behold, the top of the compressor comes off !! O CRAP - GONER !! Then I got a good look at how tightly the horn was glued to the compressor. I thought, in the name of knowledge, let me just get this apart. So, I took a kitchen knife - wedge it in-between the compressor and the horn and started hitting it with my screwdriver. It started to dig and when it was half way in, I started to pry it to cut the glue. And behold ! the glue gave way and the compressor separated !! ALLELUIA !! ALLELUIA !!
I then put the compressor back together. I used a small c-clamp to hold the compressor together while I drove the tabs back into where the belong. I inserted the nipple of the compressor back into the horn and went out and tested it with my lawn mower battery !! HOOOONK !!! IT IS ALIVE !!! Tomorrow I will get a 5/16 barb and 5/16 ID hose and start the process of putting it on my bike !!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
MOAR PICS !!!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
And some more !!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:02 AM »
Wow, that looked like a huge PITA. I also have the new version with the plastic shroud, and instead of trying this method and destroying the horn, mounted it under the lover left by the vents. Just enough room to fit behind the radiator.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline danl

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:38 AM »
Caff, do you have any pics of where you mounted it? I have one to install and have been putting it off. I suppose I should do it before my canyon bars come from mcenterprises.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »
Caff, do you have any pics of where you mounted it? I have one to install and have been putting it off. I suppose I should do it before my canyon bars come from mcenterprises.

Yup, see here http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3104.msg83551#msg83551. I've got the Canyon bars coming as well, and will see where the mounting points are. Hope I don't have to try and find another home for the horn :-\
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »
Wow, that looked like a huge PITA. I also have the new version with the plastic shroud, and instead of trying this method and destroying the horn, mounted it under the lover left by the vents. Just enough room to fit behind the radiator.

Definitely a PITA. It is not worth trying it really - I got lucky that my horn or compressor did not get destroyed. I wonder why they made it so that you cannot separate it. I wonder if their horns were failing because the compressor and horn were coming apart when mounted as a unit.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 11:38:39 AM »
Mine came with the additional shroud, also. I ended up mounting the entire thing under the RH side, opposite where the glove box is on the left. There are pictures on the website somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and post a link. It really wasn't that hard to do and required minimal bodywork removal.

EDIT:
Here it is. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3104.msg90305#msg90305

You can read the post for what all I did. It doesn't point where I would prefer it to, but it works.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline danl

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »
I gave the install a precursory review tonight. Took off the left side panel, and while there is room there, I have a feeling the Canyon Cage bars are going to be right where the horn would fit.

Took off the right top side, looks like there is room in there, but I really want to get the horn lower (and farther away from my ears!).

I'm going to wait until the Canyon Cage arrives and I install them. Then I can see what my options are- including mounting the horn right to the bars outside the fairing.

Otherwise, one of the husbands in my wife's lady riding club wants one, I can sell it to him and look at other options. Some guys on a cruiser forum I belong to have talked about some horns they got from Harbor Freight, among others, that are small and loud.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
I was planning on hanging the compressor on the left side under the fairing...maybe I should switch it to the right side..
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »
The Cage should mount to the block thru the fins, so that space up under the fairings shouldn't be anywhere close to in the way.

Unless you saw something on the Cage post that I didn't.
2011 Concours 14 ABS