Author Topic: Tires - again........  (Read 7272 times)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
Re: Tires - again........
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:18 pm »
Jim, those tires sure did stick like glue. I am a witness to that as I followed you until my tires scrubbed down to bare wire and went flat. These were newly installed just before the rally.( Avon Ultra Storm 2's front and back) In Avons defense that was the 3rd day in a row of some really fun  (slightly-->wink wink)  aggressive  riding.
I cant thank you enough for all the help you and others  gave  to get my bike back together last Friday.  Coggers sure are a great bunch to hang out with and everyone was quick to jump to my aid in acquiring  new tires  and to have  them installed in the parking lot of a hotel , and the instant oil change (another story).

Thanks Mikey,
  It was a pleasure being able to help get your bike back on the road. And the instant oil change story was a good one. Me and Ted are famous (or infamous) for parking lot repair sessions. Besides we just like showing off our skills. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 06:49:04 pm »
Yessir!

My rear Avon Venom wore quicker than expected, tried to find a Shinko 890 in stock, no luck. I found a Commander II in stock up the road at Dennis Kirk, in the process of being switched right now.

We'll see.

SteveJ, reporting on location in Almelund, MN.

How fast did the Venom wear out?  Do you ride fast or with a big load?  Asking because I'm about to put one on.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 07:17:40 am »
How fast did the Venom wear out?  Do you ride fast or with a big load?  Asking because I'm about to put one on.
Should have lasted for about 14k miles, except for the defect. Commute to work, 2 lane rural, with a few twisties, this tire also had 3k on this trip, 1k trip to key west pulling a trailer w/passenger, 800 miles to RWTW, and plus running pretty hard at the national and RWTW on the fun roads. Virtually no chicken strip. I pulled it at about 12k.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »
Should have lasted for about 14k miles, except for the defect. Commute to work, 2 lane rural, with a few twisties, this tire also had 3k on this trip, 1k trip to key west pulling a trailer w/passenger, 800 miles to RWTW, and plus running pretty hard at the national and RWTW on the fun roads. Virtually no chicken strip. I pulled it at about 12k.

Thanks.  Still a lot better than my Roadrider rear.