Author Topic: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day  (Read 55907 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
http://hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Try the Hyperwhites w/modulation.  Fit inside the mirror wells, slight angle to create a crossing pattern.  3+ years, passed many LEOs and rode with a few, no issues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^NICE! 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
[shield/bug invention]Tear-offs?

No- actually a one-handed cleaning system that can be used while moving (if careful)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »
http://hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Try the Hyperwhites w/modulation.  Fit inside the mirror wells, slight angle to create a crossing pattern.  3+ years, passed many LEOs and rode with a few, no issues.

This is a great idea.  Mine is similar- I have xenon strobes in the city lights and flash once per second to give a slight twinkle, but they are not bright enough.  I would be too chicken to drill the reflectors, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
I have been running with high beams in bright daylight and I don't get "dazzled" by oncoming vehicles with high beams during the day but I did notice one thing this morning. It does make it more difficult to see turn signals. I think I'll go out and get some driving lights and turn the high beams off.

It makes it more than just difficult to see turn signals.... depending on the person's eyes, the ambient light, the distance, the angle, etc, it can mask the entire bike... the result is just a light at some unknown distance and semi unknown position.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
I just ride with PIAA 005's on my forks... basic triangle light pattern.  I haven't had an issue with this type of config on 2 ST bikes... just ran with foglights on the Wing, same basic pattern.

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline jamcou2020

« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »
I run mine all day everday.

Breaker19

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
A little more high-beam fun....  ;D

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/13526509/high-beam

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
outstanding!!!!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
outstanding!!!!
Agreed! That was great.

Now if B'19 would write one about the fastest/best/coolest color! Please!

Breaker19

« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
Agreed! That was great.

Now if B'19 would write one about the fastest/best/coolest color! Please!

I'll have to work on that.... gotta read some of the older posts on that to get some ideas... lol  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »

LOL!!  I almost fell on the floor

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »

Nice job but.....

Since this debate started I have continued driving with hi-beam during the day as I have in the past. About a week ago I also installed a set of LED driving lights http://www.piaa.com/automotive-lamps/led-530.html and use them as well. They are mounted above my tip overs.
I have yet to be flashed that my light(s) are blinding on coming traffic. I have however noticed that vehicules travelling in the same direction in the "wrong lane" suddenly move out of my way alot faster than before the drivings were added!!! ;D
Yes they are properly adjusted as the manual stated and my headlight is as well.....

As for not caring about others, I can tell you in my case nothing could be further from the truth. I have raised over $50k for women's cancer, I volunteer to drive inebriated people home during the Xmas season, I give money to lots of money to other charities including buying the 7th gear that Steve had trouble generating funds for the Red Cross. I am a member of a multitude of BBS's related to my work and offer newbs and others free information expecting nothing in return, I hold doors for those behind me when I walk into a building, I keep my kids friends here when they don't want to go home, because life there is hell. I could go on about my good deeds but all I want is to be seen. I'm not a big fan of "studies" I am however a fan of real life experience. My experience says my chances of survival are better if I'm seen than not, no matter how I'm seen. I apologize in advance to those that have to squint for a half second while we cross paths....

Danny (AKA flash...lol)

Breaker19

« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Nice job but.....

Since this debate started I have continued driving with hi-beam during the day as I have in the past. About a week ago I also installed a set of LED driving lights http://www.piaa.com/automotive-lamps/led-530.html and use them as well. They are mounted above my tip overs.
I have yet to be flashed that my light(s) are blinding on coming traffic. I have however noticed that vehicules travelling in the same direction in the "wrong lane" suddenly move out of my way alot faster than before the drivings were added!!! ;D
Yes they are properly adjusted as the manual stated and my headlight is as well.....

As for not caring about others, I can tell you in my case nothing could be further from the truth. I have raised over $50k for women's cancer, I volunteer to drive inebriated people home during the Xmas season, I give money to lots of money to other charities including buying the 7th gear that Steve had trouble generating funds for the Red Cross. I am a member of a multitude of BBS's related to my work and offer newbs and others free information expecting nothing in return, I hold doors for those behind me when I walk into a building, I keep my kids friends here when they don't want to go home, because life there is hell. I could go on about my good deeds but all I want is to be seen. I'm not a big fan of "studies" I am however a fan of real life experience. My experience says my chances of survival are better if I'm seen than not, no matter how I'm seen. I apologize in advance to those that have to squint for a half second while we cross paths....

Danny (AKA flash...lol)

Yea, Danny, it's like a parody of the various positions about high beams, that's all.. Not a indictment of using high beams. Just to clarify...  ;D I apologize if I've offended anyone...  ;)

Breaker19

« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
Nice job but.....

Those lights look quite nice! And being LED, I am assuming the current draw is minimal. Curious, do you still have to run them via a relay like other lights or are they connected directly to a circuit or switch?

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
Those lights look quite nice! And being LED, I am assuming the current draw is minimal. Curious, do you still have to run them via a relay like other lights or are they connected directly to a circuit or switch?

Breaker19 my reply was just a general one. I liked the video because it put an emphasis on the push-pull of the subject. I don't really think there is a right or wrong, just a preference.
My point was simply that I'm a good person and do good things, so if my headlight effects a few it's really not the end of the world. I'm just trying to stay alive to keep doing good things for my family and others.

As for the PIAA's I did the old OHM's law calculation http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php and it would come out to .25 amp draw. It comes with a pre-wired switch that's pretty cheese and I'm not sure how long it's going to last on the upper part of my inner fairing.  I'm looking for a waterproof or resistant switch to replace it. They really work well and I'm happy to have the light since I'm in the country and critters are everywhere. I might end up mounting them higher like on a Snarf bracket for a little extra distance.

Breaker19

« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
Breaker19 my reply was just a general one. I liked the video because it put an emphasis on the push-pull of the subject. I don't really think there is a right or wrong, just a preference.
My point was simply that I'm a good person and do good things, so if my headlight effects a few it's really not the end of the world. I'm just trying to stay alive to keep doing good things for my family and others.

As for the PIAA's I did the old OHM's law calculation http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php and it would come out to .25 amp draw. It comes with a pre-wired switch that's pretty cheese and I'm not sure how long it's going to last on the upper part of my inner fairing.  I'm looking for a waterproof or resistant switch to replace it. They really work well and I'm happy to have the light since I'm in the country and critters are everywhere. I might end up mounting them higher like on a Snarf bracket for a little extra distance.

Wow, 1/4 amp, that's great!

I'd try a switch like this:

http://www.jharlen.com/stream400157.html

That's a waterproof push button switch for a streamlight light box hand light. Fire-Rescue type light. I used one on another bike to power some stuff for a couple years, never a problem. It is designed to live in wet environments. Certainly will handle 1/4 amp.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
Yea, Danny, it's like a parody of the various positions about high beams, that's all.. Not a indictment of using high beams. Just to clarify...  ;D I apologize if I've offended anyone...  ;)

It's wonderful....sums up the whole thread... :thumbs: :thumbs: :goodpost: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

I don't care if you have offended anyone.  Man, that's so good.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »

I somehow feel insulted, depends AND a Silverdammit slam.  If I didn't know any better I would say this parody was an accurate reflection of this forum ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »
Yes and there's probably a few more threads that technique could be used in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2012, 06:53:51 AM »

:rotflmao:

Well done sir!

"do not get your Depends in a bunch."

"that's not Depends, that's my jock strap. I have to wear it because of my endowments"

:rotflmao:

My wife had to come over to see what I was laughing so hard about. "you guys".  lol
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn