Author Topic: Discussion on the C14 Police Bike  (Read 51901 times)

Offline jonathan

Re: Discussion on the C14 Police Bike
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
Anyone found any details about the electrical system? Bigger alternator we can install, where and if it has a second battery?

I'm pretty sure that the alternator is the same and the second battery is installed in the radio box behind the rider's seat.

Offline Kas

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
The alternator is the same.  The second battery is mounted in the fairing right front.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »
The color certainly stands out a bit...probably a good thing in your line of work, though.  Thanks for posting!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
It turned out to be a color you either love or hate.  Most of the pictures don't do it justice.  We all like the color and it works well for representation for our company as everyone knows it and knows who built it (at least in our industry). 

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »
A little off topic, but I see posts about exhaust here and there on the forum and thought some might be interested in this.  We started powdercoating the silver pieces on the stock exhaust for Agencies that asked.  I think it makes the exhaust look smaller. 

VirginiaJim, if you know of a better spot to put this picture then by all means do so, just wasn't sure.  It is on a C14 Police bike though.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
Cop bike in a cop thread.  What's not to like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
Cop bike in a cop thread.  What's not to like?

Just trying to be careful and obeyin' the rules.  I am just a newbie.  Thought it should have been in an exhaust thread or something.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
A little off topic, but I see posts about exhaust here and there on the forum and thought some might be interested in this.  We started powdercoating the silver pieces on the stock exhaust for Agencies that asked.  I think it makes the exhaust look smaller. 

VirginiaJim, if you know of a better spot to put this picture then by all means do so, just wasn't sure.  It is on a C14 Police bike though.

I did the same but opted for a little contrast:

Offline Eric119

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 01:35:34 AM »
Have several pics from The Mich. Police Vehicle testing. As soon as I figure a way to post them online I will post a link. Just a note, to attain the proper min. turning radius the engineers took a dremel to the stops. Recommended that I do it to mine, he said it made it much easier to move around. These are the men developing the bike.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1645_4607-16274--,00.html
Here are the results of testing.

It just allows further turning of the bar in a fork lock turn. for us, Portland Police Burea, its a standard spec set on our purchases

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 04:19:36 AM »
Just trying to be careful and obeyin' the rules.  I am just a newbie.  Thought it should have been in an exhaust thread or something.

This is more of a general thread for the C14 police variant.  Anything goes in this thread as long as it's LEO related to the bike.  In fact, there are some other threads I'm going to merge into this one that are C14 LEO related.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
It just allows further turning of the bar in a fork lock turn. for us, Portland Police Burea, its a standard spec set on our purchases

The stops are shaved 3mm per side to allow a tighter turning radius.  Any more than that and you will hit the tank cover or glove box on the 08-09.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
I did the same but opted for a little contrast:

Nice!!!  I sure do like the red ones.  I wanted to build one so bad but never got the opportunity.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
The alternator is the same.  The second battery is mounted in the fairing right front.

Really? What size is this battery? And we are not talking about the OEM battery compartment are we?

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
Really? What size is this battery? And we are not talking about the OEM battery compartment are we?

The auxilary battery is a ytz14-bs battery and it is located under the black panel next to the right fork leg on top of the right air intake tube.  We manufactured a battery tray to mount it in this location to power our police harness that gets installed during a build. The OEM battery compartment remained unchanged.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Our Connies in the news!
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
Recognize these?  8)

This is the complete article from the Zimmerman case that's been all over the news lately.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/video-of-george-zimmerman-being-taken-in-for-questioning-surfaces/

I don't care to start a thread discussing the case....just the cool Police C14s in the shot. I pulled up behind one yesterday and didn't get to say hi to the driver. They look just like the Black '10s with MCE bars on them. Mine is red with the bars so I thought I'd ask them how they hold up to a real drop next time I see one of them.
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
As you didn't want to really discuss the Zimmerman case, I moved it here.

Offline c14p builder

• Kawasaki Police
Re: Our Connies in the news!
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
Recognize these?  8)

This is the complete article from the Zimmerman case that's been all over the news lately.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/video-of-george-zimmerman-being-taken-in-for-questioning-surfaces/

I don't care to start a thread discussing the case....just the cool Police C14s in the shot. I pulled up behind one yesterday and didn't get to say hi to the driver. They look just like the Black '10s with MCE bars on them. Mine is red with the bars so I thought I'd ask them how they hold up to a real drop next time I see one of them.

Sanford PD.  They bought six bikes from us. 

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
As you didn't want to really discuss the Zimmerman case, I moved it here.
Cool thanks! I didn't really care to get a debate going on the case as I've already seen and heard enough of it on the news.  >:(
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
.....so I thought I'd ask them how they hold up to a real drop next time I see one of them.

Maybe I wouldn't make a very honest Police Officer, but I wouldn't admit that I ever dropped it
nor acknowledge that I have any knowledge of an officer dropping one at any time, anywhere.
Most likely say "Don't know, we don't drop 'em."  8)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
Maybe I wouldn't make a very honest Police Officer, but I wouldn't admit that I ever dropped it
nor acknowledge that I have any knowledge of an officer dropping one at any time, anywhere.
Most likely say "Don't know, we don't drop 'em."  8)
I would think that at some point in their motor training they'd have to pick up the machine they're riding at least to see what kind of effort it really takes. I picked up one of those Harleys some depts still use and they are a beast to lift!