Author Topic: South FL to Canada with a junk lens  (Read 10956 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: South FL to Canada with a junk lens
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:40:15 am »
Thanks guys

I road backroads of NC/TN/VA/WV and then interstate through a small piece of Maryland and PA.  600 miles of mostly switchbacks. Wow what a day it was. WV is incredible every time I ride it.

Few pics, can't post process on this crappy laptop monitor but saving the raw files for when I get back.

Hickory  to the Snake

Then I hit the real backroads, routes plotted into GPS and way off the main roads.  OK so this guy in the country is raising fighting gamecocks. Wish I'd have brought my zoom lens.

On a back road from hell in WV and came up on an abandoned zombie school, real cracks in the columns and all going on

Was turned on to "the hangout in Welch, WV".  It says Drive - in, but everyone is inside socializing. Made some new friends there, I'll be back =)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:53 am »
Stopped here in Cooperstown,my nephew from the Carolinas is up here in a baseball tournament. He hit a home run as I arrived from a long ride from PA and was walking up to field # 4, good times!

Spending the 4th with them, then on to the Adirondack mountains and the Canada
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:55 am »
+1

you're giving away the top secret. And the road between Marion VA to Tazewell to Welch VA is incredible  :D

Nah, just a bunch of old Kawi riders on here, I wouldn't mind sharing a great road with anybody around these parts.................... as long as they don't mind riding like their hair is on fire.  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:42 pm »
Went by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum between nephew's tournament games.  Glad Tyler hit a homer here, Uncle Steve got the shirt!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 05:11:05 pm »
Went by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum between nephew's tournament games.  Glad Tyler hit a homer here, Uncle Steve got the shirt!

Cool Shirt.

Gonna wear it to the next RTE?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline okxd45

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:04:13 am »
Great pics.......thanks for sharing! Make sure you don't make a "Wrong Turn" in West Virginia.......looks kinda scary! :o
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »
Catskills,then Adirondacks, and now in Canada!

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »
I've been through the Adirondacks. Some very cool roads with rock walls.
Joel from Maine.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
  • Mid Flowriduh a.a.d.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 06:19:03 pm »
Catskills,then Adirondacks, and now in Canada!
Make sure you hit a Timmy's for some yummy coffee, eh?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
'99 Conk: 227k mi, '98 KLR650 back from Cal
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 14 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »
Make sure you hit a Timmy's for some yummy coffee, eh?

Tim Horton's right?  Did that in Montreal  :D

I'm too beat tonight to post pics or tell lies, but since last post I've been in Montreal, Vermont, New Hampshire (wow at those roads) and all over Maine (lobster and clams incredible).  In Portland tonight figuring out whats up for tomorrow

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »
Tim Horton's right?  Did that in Montreal  :D

I'm too beat tonight to post pics or tell lies, but since last post I've been in Montreal, Vermont, New Hampshire (wow at those roads) and all over Maine (lobster and clams incredible).  In Portland tonight figuring out whats up for tomorrow

Any Poutine in Quebec?  If not you should be ashamed of yourself for not trying to give your cardiologist some business.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »
Look up Susan's Fish and Chips. In Portland on RT 302 ( Forest Ave. and StevensAve) Good fried food. Also check out the Old Port. Near the waterfront. Nice area. Especially if looking for bars. I love Portland. I grew up in that perfect size of a city.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 09:28:20 am »
Look up Susan's Fish and Chips. In Portland on RT 302 ( Forest Ave. and StevensAve) Good fried food. Also check out the Old Port. Near the waterfront. Nice area. Especially if looking for bars. I love Portland. I grew up in that perfect size of a city.

Thanks for the great advice, I ate there and it was EVERYTHING you said it was!

Was GREAT meeting BDF and his lovely wife....   AND KIRBY TOO!

I'm in Atlantic City last night/today/tonight rolling some dice and clothes shopping and still eating coastal foods. I got here in the wee hours last night after a 800 mile day that started in Maine and included a night ride around NYC

Maine was none other than GREAT. Went south from there. BDF met me spur of the moment and had a GREAT time riding with him and his lovely wife in Rhode Island, can't beleive how nice that place it. Also we went to Mystic, CT its a crazy town, and hit NYC on the way through because the Connie had never been there.

Staying in Trump Tower and will catch up on a few pics tonight, and will be getting back on a twisty path tomorrow heading southwest out ofNew England from here!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 11:41:15 am »
Great meeting you too Steve. Kirby can't stop talking about it but then again, it was his first time out of state. Now there are at least a few people in CT who have been either a little shocked or outright offended by either Kirby or Mr. Elkhoof.

An elk's front hoof and lower leg: free (thanks again Chet!)
Webbing to attach it to the bike: $7.00
The look on people's faces when they see it: priceless

Glad you had a good time and a decent meal here in little Rhody.

We have a few photos but they are on Andrea's camera so they will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow night. And you have the photo of Kirby in that special tourist spot (the waitress probably still has not recovered).

Brian

Thanks for the great advice, I ate there and it was EVERYTHING you said it was!

Was GREAT meeting BDF and his lovely wife....   AND KIRBY TOO!

I'm in Atlantic City last night/today/tonight rolling some dice and clothes shopping and still eating coastal foods. I got here in the wee hours last night after a 800 mile day that started in Maine and included a night ride around NYC

Maine was none other than GREAT. Went south from there. BDF met me spur of the moment and had a GREAT time riding with him and his lovely wife in Rhode Island, can't beleive how nice that place it. Also we went to Mystic, CT its a crazy town, and hit NYC on the way through because the Connie had never been there.

Staying in Trump Tower and will catch up on a few pics tonight, and will be getting back on a twisty path tomorrow heading southwest out ofNew England from here!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it. I love a place where the owner is almost always in their store. She has been there since around 1986-87.
Joel from Maine.