Author Topic: Trailer for towing and questions  (Read 3532 times)

Offline connie14boy

Trailer for towing and questions
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
I have to trailer my C14 from Burbank to San Jose- what is the cheapest and best trailer to rent and where are the tie-down points on the bike? Thanks

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Trailer for towing and questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »
Rent the U-haul motorcycle trailer, cheap and just what you'll need. Plus the tie-downs are embedded in the trailer bed.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Thanks for the advice- I will see if my local U-haul has one I can look at. Where can you attach the straps on front forks or handlebars with all the fairing in the way?

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »
I use two sets of tie downs in the front. I put a canyon dancer strap on the handlebars and then another pair of loop style straps just above the front fender mounts. Neither are strapped down real tight, more just to keep it upright. I use the U-Haul trailer as well. I use a pair of lighter non-ratchet straps in the rear just to keep it from bouncing around. No damage yet (knock on wood).

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
Hey Matt, thanks a lot. I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of a C14 on a trailer with straps attached...

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »
Do Not Strap It Down By The Handlebars! There have been reporters of the castings cracking/breaking. Attach to the triple tree and use protective towels or something between the straps and the plastics.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »
Do Not Strap It Down By The Handlebars! There have been reporters of the castings cracking/breaking. Attach to the triple tree and use protective towels or something between the straps and the plastics.

There has been a lot of suspicions that they MAY break. I have never seen an actual report of a broken bar mount from properly strapping one down.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline marku8a

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
There has been a lot of suspicions that they MAY break. I have never seen an actual report of a broken bar mount from properly strapping one down.

Matt

I used canyon dancers once on my bike before I heard of the possibility of breaking. The tow truck operator cinched them down very tight for the fairly bouncy ride to the shop. No damage to report but I don't think I would do it again.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 01:27:09 AM »
Since this bike is new to me, I have no idea where to properly attach any strap. All I see is shiny plastic where I would likely tie to- what are canyon dancers?

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:26 AM »
Go up between the forks and wrap around the triple tree, and bring it back down to the remaining hook. repeat on the other side. ratchet both sides down,
but leave a little shock movement, just a little. Then tie down the rear so it doesn't bounce around.. The plastic should not get touched.
Here are some Utube videos to check out. One of them has gotta help..
http://www.bing.com/search?q=utube%20how%20to%20tie%20down%20a%20motorcycle%20on%20a%20trailer&FORM=IP2TLB&PC=IP2TDF&QS=n
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'