Author Topic: 2009 C-14 Oil Leak with pics...... Help!  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Jimmy Patriot

2009 C-14 Oil Leak with pics...... Help!
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
So the bike is new to me as you know and I decided to peak under the fairing for the 1st time and I got a little nervous at what I saw.  There appears to be maybe an oil leak or something.  The bike is running synthetic.  This is the underside of the throttle side of the bike..... maybe just above and behind where the exhaust goes 2 into 1.  I've taken the rpms up pretty high the last couple of runs out and there has never been anything that has dripped on my garage floor.  There is about another month left on the 36 mo warr.  Should I take this in ASAP and does anybody have some thoughts on what the problem is.  I don't know if it was a one time event and the prior owner just left it as is or ever noticed it or its a current issue.  You can see in one of the pics as high up as the oil goes.  Sorry if the pics are poor.... taken with my iphone and lying on my back facing up into the fairing while trying to shed some light in there. 

2009 C-14 ABS

Offline Conrad

Re: 2009 C-14 Oil Leak with pics...... Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
I can't help you with the leak but before your standard warranty runs out, you may want to consider this.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
I can't help you with the leak but before your standard warranty runs out, you may want to consider this.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0

Yes, thank you.  I do have that bookmarked and ready to go.  I'm in the process of updating the kawasaki site of the owner switch.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Oil pan gasket or timing wheel cover gasket would be my guess on that side of the motor.  If I were you I would get it to the dealer ASAP so that they can take care of it and also buy the GTPP like Conrad suggested.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
it could be from anywhere on that end of the engine...oil needs to be removed from the exterior, end traced to its origin...
most common spots are valve cover gasket, and more often the rubber seal around the cam position sensor, top end, front left side.

as others have noted, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE REDUCED PRICE ON THE EXTENDED EXTENSION... it will go away at the end of July. as will your original warrenty.
 ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »
My Zx14 was in the warranty shop many times for a head cover (as they called it)  leak. I finally dumped it and have hated Kawi since.

But the realiability of my C14 has almost made up for it, even though that can be attributed only to the mad pow-ah of KiPass 

I almost miss the leaky #$%^ing  Zx14

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
Well, the shop called this morning and they are thinking it is the cam sensor.  I don't know though.... seems like a lot of oil and the top end seems pretty clean.  I did assure they aren't just replacing it on gut feeling.  They will be degreasing and covering with powder to try to determine the source of the leak..... so that's good.  Oh.... and they tried telling me it was gonna cost me $250 but made them check... again, that it is under warranty until 8/28.  Will be purchasing the ex warr real soon!!!
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
Glad to hear your dealer is taking care of you!  Hopefully they get it fixed right the first time.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.