Author Topic: Petcock question  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Summit670

Re: Petcock question
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:52 am »
Are either of these, Murphs or Pingle, rebuildable?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:09 am »
Are either of these, Murphs or Pingle, rebuildable?

Pingel has rebuild kit, with enough stuff for 3 valves, for $50-60.
Pingel will rebuild it for you for $15.
I've had mine well over 10 yrs, never had a problem.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Daytona_Mike

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »

Back in the "good old days" they were all manual and I didn't have any leaking or hear of hydrolocked engines. My other bike has a manual fuel tap and I haven't forgotten to turn it off, I guess old habits die hard.

Regards, Russell
Yes, they mostly all leaked back then ( I  carried a small rubber mallet just to wack the carbs) but then again  ALL bikes  had overflow tubes  and they did not have  ethanol back then ..  Also the problem with manual petcocks is and never has been turning them off. The turning off part is fine.
 The problem is turning them ON when the engine is not running and not turning them off the exact second the engine is shut off. You cannot ever be as accurate or as fast as an auto petcock there fore your chances of hurting your engine is greater because it only takes a few seconds of FULL  FUEL FLOW to hydro lock the  engine and a manual petcock is always at full flow when turned on.
Automatic petcocks when they fail (if they fail) only ever dribble a small  amount  of fuel  so it takes  a much longer time typically all night to fill a cylinder. Proper maintenance or periodic replacement means the auto petcock will not leak and  auto petcocks do not flow any fuel  when the engine is not turning. Your manual pet cock cannot do that, they flow full out when the engine is not running when you turn it on (and most people turn it on before starting the engine). It only  takes 3 seconds.
Overflow tubes are the only true  protection from manual and defective auto  petcocks (with leaky float valves). Floats  valves do  leak occasionally, they always will, they always have. Most times you would not  even be aware unless you have  overflow tubes. It just shows up as poor fuel economy.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
Overflow tubes are the only true  protection

:deadhorse:

Bored at work again?  ;D
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.