Author Topic: Once again, 2 line vs. 3 line SS brake lines  (Read 9420 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Once again, 2 line vs. 3 line SS brake lines
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:38:54 am »
  Looks intriguing, but almost seems like one of those too good to be true things.  And when it comes to something as important as brakes, I think sticking with something tried and true like Spiegler and Murph are the way to go.

I've have custom lines made by CycleBrakes.com when needed as they make lines with Galfer components.

Back in the early 80's I had # 2 (1/8") Teflon lines with Stainless Steel Over-braid and # 3 (3/16") Brass Female JIC fittings made up for me and my 72 CB750 (with home built dual disk front end) at the local hose supply shop; to which I then tapped the 10 mm banjo threads in the calipers out to accept 1/8" NPT and used hydraulic fitting to suit. That system is still in use today as teflon hose does not degrade over time.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010
Ask me about a set of Stick Coils & Harness or Precision Shift Linkage for your C10 Concours

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 10:47:30 pm »
Well, now this is helpful indeed!
I have a two line kit on mine, was on it when I bought it, and recently added risers. 
Oddly enough, the line going to the left caliper is plenty long enough, but the right gets a bit tighter than Id like at full extension.  I know thats not likely to happen on the road, and there is still a very little bit of give in the line, but not much.

Ive been thinking of redoing them, as the right line wraps around the fork tube, goes inside, then around and down, and I was going to make it a straight down run.

Looks like Id be better served to take the longer line, run it to the right caliper, or leave it on the left, and use the shorter of the two to run caliper to caliper.
I guess either would solve my problem! 

Thanks for the idea Ken!
Say what?

Offline Solderwick

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:19:20 pm »
Uhm, while I appreciate the aknowledgement, the idea for running one line from the master cylinder then looping over to the second caliper came right here from all y'all on the old forum, not yours truly.

Let's keep credit where credit is due.

-Ken-

Offline JSharp

• Arena
  • 2011 Ninja 1000
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:11 pm »
Your welcome.... I'm pretty sure that the stock length kits will work with basic risers but you should ask Murph to make sure. Myself I've used the 2-line kits several times over as I just can't see any reason to spend extra money and still get the same results and I'm known for being far from cheap.

My bike had the 2 line setup from Murph and 1 3/4" GenMar risers. It was OK, but I removed the splitter to give the lines a little more slack.

Offline throb

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:21:57 am »
Murph said just put info about the risers in the comment section and he would take care of it.  No surprise there.  Looking forward to putting them on this weekend.  Weather is supposed to be blah anyway, not confident spring will ever arrive.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 08:03:35 am »
If you have after market bars, and depending on how they are adjusted, you may find that the 2 line stack on the front master cylinder can come in contact with the fairing's instrument shroud.   Just something to watch for.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline throb

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:44 pm »
Stock bars on 1.25" risers is what I have, but I remember this possibility from the pre-crash forum.  Not worried about the double stack banjos because when I turn my bars hard right, the very front edge of the front brake level contacts the dash panel before a double stack ever would.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.