Author Topic: High speed wobble  (Read 13660 times)

Offline Coomers

High speed wobble
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:43:52 AM »
I have an 08 Conny with 22,000 miles on her. I seemed to have created a high speed wobble at about 120 – 130 MPH. At first I thought it was because my PR 2’s were worn but even with my new PR3’s I have the same wobble. I assuming it may be the steering head bearing but would like the forms opinion. And if it is the head bearings do I need to change the bearings or can I get away with just torqueing them.

Thanks,

Offline McJunkie

Re: High speed wobble
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:02:34 AM »
If you haven't already, I believe at 15000 you are supposed to grease the bearing then re-torque them. Of course the simple solution is not to go 120-130 mph.

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
If you haven't already, I believe at 15000 you are supposed to grease the bearing then re-torque them. Of course the simple solution is not to go 120-130 mph.
Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this...  ::)
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this...  ::)

:rotflmao:

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
When you do the job, you'll need a special tool to fit the bearing adj. ring. I think they're available from "Motorcycle Larry".
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Coomers

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

Thanks Guys,

Offline Coomers

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:59 AM »
When you do the job, you'll need a special tool to fit the bearing adj. ring. I think they're available from "Motorcycle Larry".

Motorcycle Larry doesn't have it listed on his website does anyone know where else I can get one?

Offline bigdogbites

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
I have one that I bought a while back and never used --let me know if your interested?

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Send an email to: ehcycledude@yahoo.com
He makes these shockets. Not sure if he has any available at the moment, so your best bet may be to get with bigsogbites on the one that he has.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »

What's the easiest way to check to see if it's loose?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline texrider

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
With the bike on the center stand, support the frame to hold the front wheel off the ground. Grap the lower fork legs and see if you can detect any bearing play, while pushing/pulling the fork front to rear.

Also, check how easily the wheel falls into full lock left and right. Normally, there is slight resistance.

My lazy way to snug them? Reach in from the side with a long punch, and use a hammer on it to drive the notched nut tighter.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »
I almost sold my 2011 because of a high speed wobble that I got after I hit a softball sized rock and blew both tires and rims. The wobble wasn't there before, and now it wouldn't go away, happened at about 130mph plus. I finally figured out that it was the PR2's that I had put on after the crash, they were much "thinner" than the B-023's that came with the bike. After going back to the B-023's, the bike is dialed in at 150mph and I am glad to say I'm keeping my girl (Connie.) If I didn't want to ride at those speeds, I would've bought a bike that didn't share the same engine as the zx-14!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
If I didn't want to ride at those speeds, I would've bought a bike that didn't share the same engine as the zx-14!
+1
another plus is driving to work in the morning and ending up in the front at some traffic light, on a two lane road, and a Maseratti GT on the other lane wanting to drag. I usually don't bother but the guy in the car was begging for it...  ;D
For everything else, Yamaha makes a wonderful YBR 125 with which these guys went around the world.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 05:07:49 AM »

That's crazy talk right there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Coomers

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 06:18:23 AM »
I have one that I bought a while back and never used --let me know if your interested?

PM Sent.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
I love all the old timers or wimps who never use the performance the bike was built for.   you know who they are , they are always complaining or  trying to figure out how to get better gas mileage or getting 10k per set of tires.      boriiinnggg .    :o

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »
I love all the old timers or wimps who never use the performance the bike was built for.   you know who they are , they are always complaining or  trying to figure out how to get better gas mileage or getting 10k per set of tires.      boriiinnggg .    :o

:goodpost:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

I am a semi-old timer, I guess, because I like the speed, handling, etc. of the Connie, but I also want a bunch of miles out of the tires, especially when forced into straight-line highway travel. The gas mileage doesn't matter that much, because I can still go farther between fill-ups than most of my riding buddies.

I can honestly say that the speedo on my Connie will register 162 mph (yes, I know from experience that is really ONLY about 154-156), although I really don't recommend trying that.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
I love all the old timers.....   

:-*  I love you too, but don't tell the wife.  ;) 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
:-*  I love you too, but don't tell the wife.  ;) 8)

Ok you two, break it up or get a room.   :-*
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn