Author Topic: 19992 fairing fixi !  (Read 1782 times)

Offline sgilbert14

19992 fairing fixi !
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:05:34 AM »
Now that I am getting into the bike I am finding that it needs work. By all indications it has been dropped and the fairing needs so help. First there are 2 of the tabs broke on the right and 1 on the left that are needed to secure the top of the mid panel to the fairing. It also looks like the fairing bracket was bent a bit because the parts do not fit together as they should. I think I can deal with the bracket by taking off the fairing and slowely working it back into the shape. The tabs I have no clue and am looking for ideas?????

Offline Stasch

Re: 19992 fairing fixi !
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »
Here's a linky: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=659.0

The fairing pieces are made of ABS.  The bags and fairing inners are polypropolene.

One idea is to press some clay over a good tab piece to make a mold per se.

The make slurry out of ABS cement (or acetone? not sure now) and ABS shavings to pour into the mold to make a tab. 

Haven't done this myself, but am about to try it with plastic on different bike model's tailpiece and to repair a fairing crack in a 2nd bikes.

If you're not concerned about cosmetics (the tabs aren't going to show with the mid-fairings mounted anyway), you might consider some strips glued up the inside surface of the fairing.  You'll have to bend and tweak, but basically you need a sturdy tab(s), with a hole in it - all of which will hold one of the press on U-nuts.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Summit670

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:58:50 PM »
Has anyone tried cutting tabs out of flat abs sheet stock and then gluing them to fairing?

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline westkyguy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »
 I think Murph sells one of those kits on his site to mold plastic pieces.

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
Another thought. If you have the broken tabs and just need to "re-attach them", try using some light metal screening for re-enforcing material and ABS glue for adhesion. I've used this method in a couple of spots ( turn signal area) and it's held up quite well. Depending on where the tabs are, some of the work space is more readily accessable tha others.

Hope this helps,
Bob Young

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Thanks. Don't have the tabs but was thinking of trying this approach with fiberglass cloth and fill????

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »
Use MEK and Legos to make the slurry.  Melt them in a mason jar.  Regular Lego blocks are ABS.  I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby.  You can also buy ABS pellets online.  Plastic panels on older pop-up campers are fixed the same way - don't ask me how I know.  Fiberglass screen is another option instead of metal screen (if you want to fortify anything).  If you are using epoxy, remove paint on the repair site and use 100-grit paper to give the epoxy some "tooth" to grab onto.  Fiberglass resin does not stick well over time, I would highly not recommend its use.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sgilbert14

Re: 1992 fairing fix!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks and I will have to try this soon.