Author Topic: New Connie user  (Read 2546 times)

Offline aug_george

New Connie user
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
I bought a 05 concourse. My previous bike was a suzuki gs500.  I noticed the following

1) shifting from 1 to 2 second is difficult. second to 3'rd there is a bigger gap. Is it normal or have do I have a problem with gear box.

2) when I was riding at 70 deg, it is too hot at the right leg. Is it normal for Connie?

Please let me know.

Offline TjTexasJack

Re: New Connie user
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
Welcome to the group Aug George you find this to be a great forum.
Not sure about the shifting part I’m sure other will chime in soon.

Yes the Conk get hot should try a 100 degree day down here in Texas. Good boots helped me.

As a new owner I would point out read through the CDA (Connie Drop Asso) section. Conk is a top heavy and a beast at low speeds this would point out things to watch out for.

Also the Connie WIKI section is a great area to find common answers to regular problems.

Ride safe, Keep sharp.
Tj

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:15:04 PM »
Welcome aboard. Pretty cool about your previous ride. I had a GS550E before getting on the more modern  ;D Conc. I adjusted to the bigger gal just fine.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »
1) shifting from 1 to 2 second is difficult. second to 3'rd there is a bigger gap. Is it normal or have do I have a problem with gear box.

Most Kawasakis of that era have a "Positive Neutral Finder" that stops you from downshifting all the way to 1st. If you shift at low RPMs it tends to make the 1st-2nd shift stiff. It's just a matter of bringing your RPMs up and powering through. It could also be that you need to adjust your shift pedal. Follow the instructions in the FAQ to find the position to suit you best.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=965.0

2) when I was riding at 70 deg, it is too hot at the right leg. Is it normal for Connie?

Connie is a hot blooded lady. You would be too if you were dressed in all that plastic and drinking gasoline all day. Read my article in the FAQ for tips on coping with her heat.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=665.0

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
Welcome aboard. Pretty cool about your previous ride. I had a GS550E before getting on the more modern  ;D Conc. I adjusted to the bigger gal just fine.

The GS550E has no relation to the GS500. The 550 was a 4 cyl where the 500 was a twin. Different frames, wheels, brakes, everything. I know because I had 2 GS550Es and the exwife had a GS500.

Both good bikes. Wish I still had mine.

Offline blade

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:52 PM »
Welcome aug_george. You will notice quite a difference between the GS and Connie. As stated the Conc is top heavy especially compared to the GS and you will feel the heat, since the motor is all wrapped up specifically to cook your legs. But you will find Connie has superior weather protection to the GS and rolling on the throttle at 70 has a very different feel to it. Plus with a 7 plus gallon tank you will get a little more range between fill ups
If you hung out at GStwin forum you will find that the gang here are equally as knowledgeable about Concours as the Buddha and the others are about the GS.

Hope you enjoy your new bike and find a home with the crazies here.

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
when I was riding at 70 deg, it is too hot at the right leg. Is it normal for Connie?

Yes.  Yes it is.   :P  But here's the lowdown;  if you expose your right leg to the breeze a little more, the heat is quickly whisked away.  There are trade offs with any bike.  Connie is a topheavy m*%#%&^ at stand still, but once you get her rolling, it disappears quickly.  I have no problem keeping it at bay in parking lots with the throttle and rear brake.  Depending on where you live too, the extra heat thrown off is welcome on 30 or 40 something degree mornings.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.