Author Topic: Anyone Have "FI" Error Code ?  (Read 20404 times)

Offline ralphn0

Anyone Have "FI" Error Code ?
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
I had a "FI" error code and the dealer said I "Fried the ECU"  They replaced the ECU but I still get the "FI" error code but I can run the engine with all my accessories but it takes turning the ignition switch on and off two times before it will start.  This "Frying" business cost me over $1000.00 and it still dosen't run properly.  "Kawasaki" says that I have to disconnect all the accessories before they will do more testing, again at my expense.  I have had expertise help in trouble shooting by also disconnecting all the accessories and that didn't change a thing!!!  HELP!!!  I forgot to mention:  I have a 2011 C-14 that is still under warranty.

Son of Pappy

Re: Anyone Have "FI" Error Code ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:43 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search2
Hope this helps, lots of reading.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:49 AM »
You can start here, but it is a common occurence on the newer C14s:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9892.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5890.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=336.0

If it is under warranty why has this cost you $1000?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:38:17 AM »
I get an F1 error occasionally but it is only momentarily and never effects anything. What accessories do you have that they think fried the ECU?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
Got the error last night coming back from Naples, FL.  Then, like always, KiPass slapped that typical KAWASAKI quirk right off my dash  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
It's an incredibly common occurrence for 2010+, I have an 11 and it happens frequently. My understanding is that FI stands for fuel injection, it doesn't have anything to do with your plug-ins. My local service manager told me to fuel up with a few tanks of Chevron with Techron 91 octane in a row, "that should clean it out." Sounds like your shop is trying to blame you for a problem that is inherently theirs. By the way, I never stop when the light comes on, it eventually goes off and I've never felt the bike was compromised.  GO IRISH!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
Ok, why did you 'OP' take the bike in to a Kwak dealer, to report the F1 error or did you have some issues with the bike seemingly associated with the F1 code?  And what's this turning the ignition on and off business to start the bike?  Smells like the old ignition issue with the spring in the switch.  That issue shouldn't have anything to do with the F1 error as typically that occurs with the bike engine on and moving.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »
This thread needs clarification. Many have reported  transient "FI Error" with no noticeable problem. Since you paid $1000 for a new ECU obviously you must have had a problem so what was the major problem?

EDIT: I just re-read Jim's post and realize he was asking the same thing.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:37:16 PM »
This thread needs clarification.

Actually, this thread needs deletion :)  There are plenty of threads on F1.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »
I wanna know what's up with the 1,000 big ones.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
Yeah something smells like fish, $1000 and under warranty in same post
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
This thread needs clarification. Many have reported  transient "FI Error" with no noticeable problem. Since you paid $1000 for a new ECU obviously you must have had a problem so what was the major problem?

EDIT: I just re-read Jim's post and realize he was asking the same thing.

:)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Wow, Steve, your new gal is a real doll!
Got the error last night coming back from Naples, FL.  Then, like always, KiPass slapped that typical KAWASAKI quirk right off my dash  ;D

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Ok, why did you 'OP' take the bike in to a Kwak dealer, to report the F1 error or did you have some issues with the bike seemingly associated with the F1 code?  And what's this turning the ignition on and off business to start the bike?  Smells like the old ignition issue with the spring in the switch.  That issue shouldn't have anything to do with the F1 error as typically that occurs with the bike engine on and moving.

It does not stand for fuel injection.  It is a broad warning that something has gone wrong.

To the OP, if they put a new ECU on and it did not fix the problem I would tell them that they need to refund you your money.  You don't pay them to work on your bike you pay them to fix it. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
It does not stand for fuel injection.  It is a broad warning that something has gone wrong.

Where did I say it stood for fuel injection?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
It's an incredibly common occurrence for 2010+, I have an 11 and it happens frequently. My understanding is that FI stands for fuel injection, it doesn't have anything to do with your plug-ins. My local service manager told me to fuel up with a few tanks of Chevron with Techron 91 octane in a row, "that should clean it out." Sounds like your shop is trying to blame you for a problem that is inherently theirs. By the way, I never stop when the light comes on, it eventually goes off and I've never felt the bike was compromised.  GO IRISH!

think he was referring to this

Offline Z71

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
I never had an FI light on my C14, so I did not read any of the related threads.  However, I have a flashing FI code on my Suzuki B King, which I determined had a code associated with it which related  to the exhaust valve actuator. (Not the engine exhaust valve, there is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe).  On this Suzuki bike, you plug in a short wire harness with a toggle switch to a diagnostic connector, and this will flash a code on the instrument panel.  I have a list of codes in the shop manual for the bike.  Does C14 have a similar setup so you can find out what code you have and which component is faulty?   In case of my Suzuki, it probably only needs cable adjustment of the exhaust valve, as the voltage sent to the ECU by the valve servo is slightly out of range.   The default mode is a wide open valve , so the bike can be ridden without any issues.   This is still covered under warranty. A flashing FI code on this bike means a fault that will allow the bike to be started and ridden, a solid FI light will prevent the bike from being started.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »
think he was referring to this

Okledokely

I never had an FI light on my C14, so I did not read any of the related threads.  However, I have a flashing FI code on my Suzuki B King, which I determined had a code associated with it which related  to the exhaust valve actuator. (Not the engine exhaust valve, there is a butterfly valve in the exhaust pipe).  On this Suzuki bike, you plug in a short wire harness with a toggle switch to a diagnostic connector, and this will flash a code on the instrument panel.  I have a list of codes in the shop manual for the bike.  Does C14 have a similar setup so you can find out what code you have and which component is faulty?   In case of my Suzuki, it probably only needs cable adjustment of the exhaust valve, as the voltage sent to the ECU by the valve servo is slightly out of range.   The default mode is a wide open valve , so the bike can be ridden without any issues.   This is still covered under warranty. A flashing FI code on this bike means a fault that will allow the bike to be started and ridden, a solid FI light will prevent the bike from being started.

We don't need no stinkin short wire harness to read the codes on this bike.  Assuming the F1 error 'stays', then you can go through some pushbutton sequences to retrieve the sub-code.  Unfortunately with the intermittent F1 error, there is no sub-code to diagnose what causes it.  It flashes up and then is gone without apparent harm to the bike or rider.  It's been a mystery ever since the '10 bikes came out.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
Where did I say it stood for fuel injection?

Jim, one of my pet peeves with this forum layout.  I was trying to quote the post above yours.  Look at where the "quote" link is and you'll see why I accidentally clicked on your "quote" instead.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:30:15 PM »
Excuses, excuses....   My error is usually replying without quoting and not realizing there are three more pages of posts... :)