Author Topic: HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II updated  (Read 10370 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II updated
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »
HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II

I decided to place this in it's own post, to separate it from the original, but I did note major problems on this back there, those can be see from this post:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12627.msg171239#msg171239
 down to the place where I posted the link to the current post you are reading......
here is the final outcome, many hours of late nights, and discomfort... but it's a good job I think....

here's part of the "entertainment factor" that was included in many parts of this  adventure...
I have the "instruction manual for assembly" on the trailer, it has a different photo of it on the first page than the one here:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/66000-66999/66771.pdf

download that file, and pay particular attention to the way my trailer looks, compared to the final 2 assembly pictograms....
ahhhh yes, and you thought the C14 manual had problems? ::)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:43:21 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
Have you had it around the block? What are the weight specs? Tongue, net and gross?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
Have you had it around the block? What are the weight specs? Tongue, net and gross?

was supposed to go to Sommerset for a weekenderCOG campout, but both Momma an I couldn't fathom it today, we are both suffering from heat exhaustion, and it was too risky.
Plan on wringing it out tomorry tho

it weighs #150,  as it sits now on the bike empty, the toungue weight is #8
capacity is #600 if used on a car/truck, and max suggested on bike is #250, don't know if they are including weight of trailer in those figures.
 hitch capacity was about #50 on tongue operational, but I stood on it and no flex at all....and I's "security squad" size...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
Pretty cool MOB!  :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »
Well done, except for all that yellow tape.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »
Well done, except for all that yellow tape.    :o

LOL!  I was going to post something earlier like " 'sup with the yellow tape?!"  But decided not to.  Now you opened the floodgate :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »
LOL!  I was going to post something earlier like " 'sup with the yellow tape?!"  But decided not to.  Now you opened the floodgate :)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :finger_fing11:

I actually was waiting to see who would ask...
3 reasons..

1- I had green, brown, and yellow on hand.... and picked yellow cause it was fresher.
2- The protective sleeving tended to gap open, so I decided to hep it tighter and closed

3- whenever I do something that is external to the bike, or a piece of machinery, that could go bad by not paying attention to wiring, that can get snagged or pinched or damaged, I like to make it eye catching, to force a "scan" regularly. It insures (in my mind) there ain't damage I'm not payin attention to.... ;)

kinda like caution tape.... 8)
it evidently works.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
and picked yellow cause it was fresher.

Yo YO Fresh doggie dog!  :)   (I know what you mean).
You might have tried "heat shrink tubing", since unlike tape, it will not break down and get all gooey.  Of course, you have to use that stuff BEFORE you put the connectors on and have it all in place.  Takes a lot of extra planning and it always seems difficult to find the right size.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
I had green

And you didn't use it MOB?  ??? :-\ :( :'(

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:20:21 PM »
Yo YO Fresh doggie dog!  :)   (I know what you mean).
You might have tried "heat shrink tubing", since unlike tape, it will not break down and get all gooey.  Of course, you have to use that stuff BEFORE you put the connectors on and have it all in place.  Takes a lot of extra planning and it always seems difficult to find the right size.

I'm a COG'r.... frugal... means free.... 8)
I was in a rush to complete it all and go on a ride, which didn't happen due to heat exhaustion.... sooooo.
mid winter project, there's always room for upgrading....

ZG, the roll of green was almost used up.... that's another story... ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »
Just wanted to revive this old one, and let you know how that trailer works...
due to health issues this spring, I have not had a chance to test it out well..
I took it on a 40 mile run today, all different scenarios of road conditions and speed...
I had it loaded with 150# of sandbags, centered over the axle.

It pulled flawlessly... I never at anytime, could say it may any difference in handling..... panic stops, braking in turns, freeway roll, extreme rough roads.... It never swayed, or bucked once....

me very happy!!!!!   :finger_fing11: :finger_fing11:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing, and your trailer job looks awesome!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 07:36:17 PM »
Does it feel safe for you to tow it at highway speeds (75-85 mph)?  And can you please let us know what gas mileage decrease to expect (if any at all)? Thanks!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30:54 AM »
looks great, couple dumb questions,
Can the hutch be removed and installed say for trips only??
does the hitch impact the lean angle of the bike ??
can the trailer tip say on a twisty way to a destination ??  :)

thanks much!!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
When I pulled a trailer behind my old RT I remember reading somewhere about the tongue weight being about 10% of the total     weight of the trailer. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
looks great, couple dumb questions,
Can the hutch be removed and installed say for trips only??
does the hitch impact the lean angle of the bike ??
can the trailer tip say on a twisty way to a destination ??  :)

thanks much!!

sorry, I never came back and answered these...

the hitch I used is a p.i.t.a. to play off and on with, because of the points it mounts to, also, i had to re-manufacture it due to cheesy production of the unit, and poor quality fitup dimensions... I did correct those issues, but it dosn't lend well to remove/reinstall rapidly. There is no compromise in lean angle or handling with it in place, and in fact the presence and hard point mounting actually seams to stiffen the tail section a bit, and removes any propensity of flex that may have been there prior. I don't think this trailer, as it is mounted, could flip, and if it did, the bike without it would have already been off the road.. the trailer adds some traction, and is very predictable, and I rode it in some really twisty technical stuff... just have to remember when you hit the brakes, you have some weight back there pushing you along, so don't hammer the brakes in a corner apex... but then, I never would without a trailer.. common sense.

Does it feel safe for you to tow it at highway speeds (75-85 mph)?  And can you please let us know what gas mileage decrease to expect (if any at all)? Thanks!

I've had this rig running in excess of 90mph, (when I say this, I will not admit highest speed... lets say, it is C14 rated...) and my down and back from Ohio to Johnson City national rally, held mostly 70 mph, and over... I actually had to look back to make sure the rig was still there.. simply flawless tracking.
My mileage dipped significantly...  ;D ;D ;D I dropped from 45mpg, down to 41 mpg, actual, thru the mountains and twisties, hauling the rig with at least 150+ lbs inside... as far as tongue weight, even fully loaded it was <or= 20#, pick up the tongue with 2 fingers... no issue.

I truly kick my own arse for not rigging this machine sooner... this rocks. I can say, travelling with my wife, and full COMFORTABLE (i.e. my big Eureka tent, coleman maga air bed/mattress, boom box, cook gear, propane, lamps, food, clothes,guns & ammo, and saddle bags stored IN the trailer) it is a piece of artwork... sweet...pretty much everything we hauled in the truck, short of my Grumman freighter canoe... and hey, if called upon, it'll hold about $500 of beer and ice... yeah campers...

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II updated
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
wow, this thread went completely under the radar for me, never saw it  :-[
It looks amazing. The capacity to haul half your home with you on trips and still un-hook it and go for a ride... priceless.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: HARBOR FREIGHT TRAILER-BUSHTEC HITCH PT. II updated
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
I will mention a couple inherent observations on this trailer tho....

You need to pack the wheel bearings well before using, and pack them frequently, like maybe every 2k miles. There are zerk fittings for repacking, so its easy to keep up with, id check the axle nuts frequently also, just because....

I drilled a couple holes along the sealing lip of the top and bottom halves, so I could use simple master key hasp locks to scere it locked shut, and also locked the hitch latch wi one also, so the trailer doesn't "walk away" with some bastich...

Carry a stout long cable lock to lock it to a phone pole, or other immovable object where you intend to park it. Also to keep it whhere it was parked till you return... I thought I had it secured well in the parking lot at a hotel once, by wrapping the cable around a 4 foot high parking lot post... seemed ok, but came out 3 hours later and some drunken NASCAR buttwipes thought they'd be cute, and lifted the trailer up and off the post, and parked it in another spot... very un nerving,  I exchanged words with the idiots after retrieving my .44 mag from the trailer, in front of them.... I think the messege was absorbed by the perp's at that point.... just chain it to an object that offers security.

I also installed a layer of foam seal tape around the perimeter of the lid, just out of  my own habits... never had any water ingress.

The added LED brake lights are awesome, and since this trailer has standard bulb lamps from the factory, it allowed me to use seperate circuits for those just as turn signals/running lights. The C14 signal /brake circuits cause the need for this, unless you wanna buy an adaptor to do electronic seperation, which is an additional $40, I went frugal, and accomplished it ing an extra run of wire on the seperated circuits.