Author Topic: Driving light mount  (Read 9356 times)

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Driving light mount
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
I'm looking to mount a set of driving lights on my C14.  Using the search I found basically 3 locations.... Under the mirrors or the reflector mounts or on tip over bars.  I don't care for any of these.  I see the reflector mount as having a lot of movement as the front wheel goes over bumps causing stress on the bracket and the light to shake while going down the road.  The under mirror mount looks too much like a woman's earrings.... I just can't do that either.  I don't have Canyon Cages, no will I.

I have a few thoughts.... I will be looking into all of these.

1st Make a bracket that goes from the motor mount bolt out through the fairing to hold the light.  The only problem I see is from the front the turn signal will be drowned out by the driving lights.
2nd Place them under the headlight & fairing.  Problem.... Clearance with front fender at maximum upward travel.
3rd Bracket from inside lower fairing in front of the radiator.   This seems to be my best idea.  The lights would be hidden, protected, and effective, but could loose some of the horizontal light beam blocked by the fairing.

Any other suggestions?  My dad put his Denali DM1 lights on a bracket he made to fit under the mirror mount on his Honda NT.  That looks great, but is too high for me, and too high to be legal in some states.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Driving light mount
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
The best spot I've seen IMO is under the mirrors. I don't have any additional lights mounted and don't have any pics of that mounting spot used, but I've seen it done and if I add lights that's where I'll put em.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »
The front fender mounting bolts is where mine are. No movement at all since they are what hold fender on. Pics here...http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10701.msg135185#msg135185
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »
The front fender mounting bolts is where mine are. No movement at all since they are what hold fender on. Pics here...http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10701.msg135185#msg135185

Rob had his eventually break in that spot, maybe he'll see this post and chime in...  :-\

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »

I mounted my MM10's on the reflector mount and thought they were pathetic at lighting the ditches. Moved them to under the mirrors at a cost of about $3. Two longer bolts to replace the middle mirror mount bolt. The change in effective light was amazing. Now the ditches are covered in light. I run my lights all the time whether on dim or bright and never get flashed by oncoming vehicles. Besides that they really look good mounted there.

Fork

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:19 AM »

Rob had his eventually break in that spot, maybe he'll see this post and chime in...  :-\

Those were mounted at the reflector mounts and used the reflector brcakets, not at the finder mounts.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:45:10 AM »
Thoughts? Just thrown on there for the pic.  Not installed. 

The other place I'm thinking now is right above the Kawasaki emblem on the fairing.  I could make a small metal bracket to go under 2 of the screws, with a small turn to square it out. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »
I have mine on the reflector mounts up front and have not had any issues whatsoever as of yet.  :-)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline jonathan

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
The reflector mounts on the front wheel are a good location is you want to be seen.

If you want the lights to be useful to you, that is to light up the road, then you want to get them as high as you can. For this the under-mirror mount can't be beat.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
This is a lot more work for my limited tools, but I like it.  Oh, and yes, it will be painted.  Just mocked up with what I had on hand.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
Those were mounted at the reflector mounts and used the reflector brcakets, not at the finder mounts.

That could be, I couldn't remember for sure...  :-\

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »
Just another idea if it helps

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
Driving lights high... Fog lamps low.
Lights to be seen... Anywhere you like.
Personally I plan to install a mixed pair.
One fog, one driving. Mounted on either the reflector or fender mounts.
Just my 2 cents...
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »
Another option is mounting the driving lights above the side mirrors, just like on the Kawi cop bikes. I did it and it works great and looks great too. I believe I got the mounts from Kawasaki Authority Sales, one of the outfitters for the police bikes. Beaudry Motorsports is the other supplier of police bikes. Btw Rigid Industries Dually 2 lights are awesome!

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
Another option is mounting the driving lights above the side mirrors, just like on the Kawi cop bikes. I did it and it works great and looks great too. I believe I got the mounts from Kawasaki Authority Sales, one of the outfitters for the police bikes. Beaudry Motorsports is the other supplier of police bikes. Btw Rigid Industries Dually 2 lights are awesome!

That probably is the best place.  It is robust, least likely area to get hit by a rock/etc, doesn't stick out a lot, gives better aiming control to prevent blinding people, looks pretty good, and best angle.  Not a good location for *FOG* lights, but great for driving/high-beam tie-in.  Maybe some day I will do that.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 08:04:11 AM »
There are some strange/confusing/different/obscure/...... laws out there.  Some states are very open to adding lights, others are very restrictive.  Some states have very clear wording in their definitions, while others do not.  Read them carefully!  A few I looked at don't allow for any lights to be added above the headlight level.  I ended up making the brackets for the 2nd picture I posted.  They are painted now, just have to clear them.  Maybe tonight.  I'll post the finished product when they are installed.  Not sure when, but I hope in this week.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »
There are some strange/confusing/different/obscure/...... laws out there.  Some states are very open to adding lights, others are very restrictive.  Some states have very clear wording in their definitions, while others do not.  Read them carefully!  A few I looked at don't allow for any lights to be added above the headlight level.

You are very correct.  The laws about additional driving/fog lights are all over the place and hard to understand.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc