Author Topic: saddlebag lock assembely question about key  (Read 6147 times)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
saddlebag lock assembely question about key
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
Does anyone know if one the saddlebag locks the lock cylinder cover (the bright part that has the door that opens to accept the key) is part of a lock cylinder?

Has anyone installed the guts of the lock cylinder into a new saddlebag lock assembly so that it would operate with the ignition key?
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Flathead

Re: saddlebag lock assembely question about key
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »
If your question is: can you pull the lock cylinder out of an old bag and use it in a new bag, then yes. If that is not the question then please, at least for me, rephrase. :)

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
Does anyone know if one the saddlebag locks the lock cylinder cover (the bright part that has the door that opens to accept the key) is part of a lock cylinder?

Has anyone installed the guts of the lock cylinder into a new saddlebag lock assembly so that it would operate with the ignition key?

As stated, your question is about as clear as mud.

Flathead's reply, "If your question is: can you pull the lock cylinder out of an old bag and use it in a new bag, then yes. If that is not the question then please, at least for me, rephrase."

If you want know if the ignition key fits the bags, all locks take the same key.  If either of these answers satisfy your query, then your question is answered.  If not, state the question as clearly as possible and someone will most likely supply an appropriate answer.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
I ordersed a bag assembly and the lock apparatus that has the handle and key.  My question is two fold.
1) is the chrome or bright lock cover a part of the cylinder underneath it? The picture is very small on the parts fiche but seems to indicate that bright part is a part of the lock assembly and the cylinder is separate.
 2) the second question has been answered, but I am hoping the key door for lack of better word is not a part of the cylinder.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 05:06:52 AM »
Somewhere on this board a member demonstrated how to remove the entire lock cylinder (including the 'chrome' lock cover) as one piece. He made a simple 'key' that when inserted into the lock allowed the entire piece to be removed. 

Ah, here it is.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13325.msg164074#msg164074
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:17:39 PM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Thanks Conrad, good information.

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »
That chrome cap is called a dust door. Yes, it is attached to the lock plug. No you can't swap it without making it ugly (unless you have much more patience than I do, and I've been a locksmith for more than 30 years).

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
My curiosity got the best of me after following the link provided by Conrad.  Here's a pictorial review showing where it led.  Grinding the hacksaw blade to the proper dimensions took about ten minutes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:46:03 AM by BudCallaghan »

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
So Rick that shoots down swapping lock cylinders and keeping the new dust door. Can a locksmith re-key a cylinder somehow. Sorry if that is a stupid question but no knowledge on the matter.   The only other way I can see getting a matched set is buying every lock as a set and that is over $800.00.   What a bitch!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
The only other way I can see getting a matched set is buying every lock as a set and that is over $800.00.

:o

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:29:26 AM »
So Rick that shoots down swapping lock cylinders and keeping the new dust door. Can a locksmith re-key a cylinder somehow. Sorry if that is a stupid question but no knowledge on the matter.   The only other way I can see getting a matched set is buying every lock as a set and that is over $800.00.   What a bitch!
]

Spending $800 for matching keys is out of the question. 

Please tell us why you're changing locks.  Was the original damaged, stolen or what.  Knowing why the knowledge is being sought will help us all better understand your dilemma. 

It's been a long time, but I think I once took a lock to a locksmith and had him change the lock to fit a specific key.  I assume that one of the bags needs the lock changed (for a reason to be supplied by you) and that the other bag is ok.  Take the good bag, its key and the new lock (if you have indeed purchased it, this is why we need particulars) to a competent locksmith and ask him or her what the possibilities are.  I did state competent locksmith so if the first one tells you it can't be done, consult others.  There are competent and incompetent people working in all professions.   

Rick's reply included the proper name for the dust door.  Is this the part that is damaged?  If it is and you just want to replace it to be able to use the same key in all locks, then take the damaged lock and the new lock with the good dust door but the wrong key, to the locksmith and I'll bet he can readily solve your problem.

These answers are all based on assumptions because your questions did not supply enough information for us (me, for certain) to accurately diagnose the problem and offer suggestions.  Please keep us current as we sincerely want to assist one another.  Also, please post the exact nature of the problem so none of us are left in the dark.

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
The dust door is scratched along with the handle and other parts of the bag.  Ordering a bag assembly and complete lock assembly with keys. Trying to avoid having a different key only for one bag. The lock with the scratched dust door functions OK.

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 10:37:43 AM »
The dust door is scratched along with the handle and other parts of the bag.  Ordering a bag assembly and complete lock assembly with keys. Trying to avoid having a different key only for one bag. The lock with the scratched dust door functions OK.
That clarifies the issue, thank you.  Your problem should be a cinch for a locksmith to solve by simply removing the tumblers from the old cylinder and placing them in the new cylinder.  One key fits all will be the result.  Just what you need for peace of mind.  As stated in one of my previous posts, don't take no for an answer, a decent locksmith can do this without breaking a sweat.  If needed, you can even take a printed copy of the pictures I posted to illustrate to the locksmith the simple tool necessary to remove the cylinders for access to the tumblers.  Let us know how you fare with this approach.

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
One further question should satisfy my curiosity.  How did the bag get to be in such bad shape?  Did it fall off while traveling as others have?  If so, or as a precaution it's probably a good idea to secure the bags with a pin of some sort.  Here's a picture of my solution after seeing videos of bags jumping ship. 

Offline Locksmith

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
You can probably change the lock to match your key yourself. Seeing as how you have one already on the correct key, just swap the wafers.

The "wafers" are the flat brass plates that are in the cylinder "plug".

Without a key in the plug you will see the wafers sticking out. You want to remove all of them, except the one furthest from the dust door. You do this by pushing them out from the side opposite the side where they stick out. It may require a bit of force to do this for each one. I use a small flat head screw driver and a small hammer to tap them out. Put the plug on a surface with a gap so the wafers can fall out freely. Keep track of the order they come out. I would remove the wafers from the new plug first because you don't care about them. In case you damage one while you are learning how much pressure to apply with the hammer.

There will be a small spring in place for each wafer. Save these in case you lose one in the process.

Make sure there is a spring in place for each wafer, then take the wafers from the old plug and put them in the new plug in the same order they were removed. Be aware that the wafers may not stay in on their own. By removing them you have removed a small crimp that the factory put in to keep them in place while they were being handled. This won't hamper their function at all. Just be sure to put a key in the plug to hold them in place when unattended.

When you install it in your new bag, be carefull not to let any of the wafers or springs fall out.

When you install the plug back in the bag, look down the hole first to make sure the slot at the bottom is aligned correctly to match up with he tip of the plug.

With a key in the plug, push the first wafer in while inserting the plug in the lock. Once the plug is in all the way, it will lock itself in place and you are finished.

If you have problems, let me know and I'll take pictures, but like most, I'm inherently lazy and would rather be riding!  I think these instructions should walk you through it.

Good luck!