Author Topic: Is it my valve cover? HALP  (Read 11070 times)

Offline mikeeitup

Is it my valve cover? HALP
« on: August 19, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
 Hey guys. I noticed my bike was smoking a few days ago on start up if I let it idle for about a minute. It was coming from the radiator area but smelled like oil. I took my side panels off and noticed right off that my coolant levels are not changed and that the lines seem to be perfect. I did notice that all behind the headers were dirty and covered with what looks like oil and dirt. I started up up and it was smokin pretty bad from that area but I can't locate where from. I am kinda new to this so I'm not 100% sure where I'm lookin. It looks like it is coming from the headers (probably from dripping on it). There are other threads about this but I figured I would post and see if there is any new input. Thanks! Ask me anything if you need more information to help me out.
Mike :-\
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Is it my valve cover? HALP
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
The common oil leaks I know of are the valve cover gasket and the cam sensor o-ring.

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:18 PM »
Thanks! Yeah I took 'er apart and am overwhelmed. Gonna have my techie buddy help out. Hey I like your tag line. "...slowly...inexorably...sliding into the loving embrace of big brother" Holds true.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Gsun

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Most likely the cam sensor o ring.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
Cam 'O' ring and some C10 valve cover caps and seals  will fix the valve cover.
Read this thread:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,52884.msg381297.html#msg381297
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
Talk to Man Of Blues for a slightly larger O-ring replacement for the cam sensor.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16507.msg203130#msg203130

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
I figured mine was from the Cam Sensor O-Ring, but the dealer did the tear-apart and found it was the valve cover seal. I don't know why it would start leaking after only 18k miles on it and never being touched, but what do I know? I had asked them to take pictures to show what the leak was but the tech that did the tear-down got in early and was done with that before anyone got in and asked him to document it.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
I figured mine was from the Cam Sensor O-Ring, but the dealer did the tear-apart and found it was the valve cover seal. I don't know why it would start leaking after only 18k miles on it and never being touched, but what do I know? I had asked them to take pictures to show what the leak was but the tech that did the tear-down got in early and was done with that before anyone got in and asked him to document it.

How much did that run ya? I had a look with a buddy and can't even convince him to help (diesel mechanic). He says it hella crowded under there. Workin 6 days a week and have very little garage space so I am kinda forced to pay someone to do it for me. Thanks.
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
Wouldn't that be covered under warranty?

Might as well check the valve clearances while you are in there.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
Wouldn't that be covered under warranty?

Might as well check the valve clearances while you are in there.

:thumbs:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »
It cost me $773 to have it done. See this post and a few after it:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15195.msg187901#msg187901
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
HALP?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:48:31 AM »
Yeah Halp=help. Just a dumb way of saying it. I took it to my guy. He is VERY fair with price so it wont cost me 700+ bucks but I can't imagine it being too cheap either. HEY may I have suggestions as to what else I should ask him to do while it's apart? simple mods? Maintenance.... yaddah yaddah
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
Yeah Halp=help. Just a dumb way of saying it. I took it to my guy. He is VERY fair with price so it wont cost me 700+ bucks but I can't imagine it being too cheap either. HEY may I have suggestions as to what else I should ask him to do while it's apart? simple mods? Maintenance.... yaddah yaddah
Mike
Before you have someone rip all the stuff out to replace a gasket, get the mess cleaned up and determine if it is the gasket or the camsensor o ring, that is a quick and simple job comparably, and it does goober the area up with oil just like a cover gasket...if the valve cover has not ever been removed, it IS more likely to be that o ring, I've sent out hundreds of them.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
Before you have someone rip all the stuff out to replace a gasket, get the mess cleaned up and determine if it is the gasket or the camsensor o ring, that is a quick and simple job comparably, and it does goober the area up with oil just like a cover gasket...if the valve cover has not ever been removed, it IS more likely to be that o ring, I've sent out hundreds of them.
And that's why I specifically asked them to take pictures when they did mine since the valve cover had never been removed. But alas, they didn't and I paid almost $800.
Scott

Offline Shoe

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
This topic about the valve cover/cam position sensor oil leak is a topic that is too common for it to not have been solved by Kawasaki a long time ago. Its the reason why I will never buy another Kawasaki.

Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »
This topic about the valve cover/cam position sensor oil leak is a topic that is too common for it to not have been solved by Kawasaki a long time ago. Its the reason why I will never buy another Kawasaki.

I hear what you are saying but relative to other bikes I've had it's been pretty reliable. Yes, after 50,000 miles I have the oil leak and plan to tackle that this winter. On my 97 Honda Valkyrie I have read that it is one of the most reliable bikes on the planet but at 50,000 miles the clutch went out. It was the rivets on the damper plate that worked out and turns out to be VERY common on that bike. At 70,000 the spline on the drive shaft wore out as well as the bucket. Turns out to be very common on that bike. On my 2001 Suzuki DR650 at about 5,000 mile the cylinder base started leaking. Suzuki made that bike for years and years before fixing it in 2003, until then EVERY Suzuki DR650 ever made before 2003 WILL leak at the cylinder base between 5000 and 10000 miles. Have I been unlucky? Or is that just the way it is?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Might be a bmw in your future?  ::)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
Might be a bmw in your future?  ::)

:goodpost:

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.