Author Topic: GPS mount in triple tree pivot  (Read 15578 times)

Offline bikelee

GPS mount in triple tree pivot
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
I want to mount my GPS in the triple tree pivot. Does Ram mount make a ball that will mount in the upper triple tree pivot. If this has been covered I am sorry. I did a search but could not find the info I needed.  Thanks for any help !

Offline jjsC6

Re: GPS mount in triple tree pivot
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »
Motorcycle Larry makes a nut that is threaded for a Ram Ball mount.  That is how I have mine mounted.

Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »
I know that it's not what you were asking about but Murph sells these awesome Techmounts.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=308

You'll have to add a cradle for your particular application.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RedBombardier

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
I know that it's not what you were asking about but Murph sells these awesome Techmounts.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=308

You'll have to add a cradle for your particular application.

I also use the Techmont.  It works great, looks good, and is very sturdy.  It can also be quickly changed to mount something else... even a ram mount.  Very well designed.
Chris from the Big "D"
COG# 9361
AMA# 672853 Life
2009 Candy Diamond Red C14, Guhl. Delkevic

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
I have the Techmount which sits a little higher then the nut/ball type.  I think it would work better if you use a tank bag which I do on weekend jaunts.

Offline Lonerider

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »
I've been using the Techmount for 2 years now and am very happy with it.
2009 ZG1400 Concours, 2003 SV1000, 1985 XV1000 Virago

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
The Techmount is great. Solid as a rock, well designed, good adjustablity, and looks good to boot.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:02:08 AM »
Motorcycle Larry makes a nut that is threaded for a Ram Ball mount.  That is how I have mine mounted.

OK, unrelated question :)

How the hell did you get that Vista Cruise on the newer C14?  Did you have to re-work the grip or tube or something?  I have one sitting in a box unused because I declared it impossible to install on the newer C-14.  There simply is not enough room!  Post response here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=352 if you would.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline bruceg

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Remove the plastic cap, use one of these http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u.html , and install a nut on the bottom side. Less than $13.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
OK, unrelated question :)

How the hell did you get that Vista Cruise on the newer C14?  Did you have to re-work the grip or tube or something?  I have one sitting in a box unused because I declared it impossible to install on the newer C-14.  There simply is not enough room!  Post response here:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=352 if you would.

Posted on the other thread.  The short answer is dremmel tool to the Vista Cruise.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lolife

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 05:43:06 PM »
Remove the plastic cap, use one of these http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u.html , and install a nut on the bottom side. Less than $13.

I'm looking to mount a GPS now.  If you removed the stem nut & bolted the ball to the stem nut, how did you reinstall the stem nut?  I hope that makes sense?   :o

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
I want to mount my GPS in the triple tree pivot. Does Ram mount make a ball that will mount in the upper triple tree pivot. If this has been covered I am sorry. I did a search but could not find the info I needed.  Thanks for any help !
I have one of those Ram stem mounts on another bike. It works like the rubber drain plug in a boat. You tighten a screw and it expands inside the stem. It works OK but periodically get loose and must be re-tightened. The item sold by MC larry mentioned above is probably better. On my C14 I use a clutch bracket ram mount as I probably already mentioned in this thread.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline wpbweb

RAM Mount Aluminum Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1'' Ball
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-fork-stem-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

RAM Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1 inch Ball Description
The new Fork Stem Mount offered by RAM is one of the cleanest ways to mount small electronics on your motorcycle. Simply slide the assembly into the hole of the stem and tighten the machine screw with a wrench. Designed to fit fork stems from 1/2'' to 1 1/4'' ID or 13mm to 32mm ID, this new product will fit a wide range of makes and models.

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »

+1; Here's the link.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: RAM Mount Aluminum Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1'' Ball
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-fork-stem-base-with-1-inch-ball.html

RAM Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1 inch Ball Description
The new Fork Stem Mount offered by RAM is one of the cleanest ways to mount small electronics on your motorcycle. Simply slide the assembly into the hole of the stem and tighten the machine screw with a wrench. Designed to fit fork stems from 1/2'' to 1 1/4'' ID or 13mm to 32mm ID, this new product will fit a wide range of makes and models.

I was told by two of the sellers of this part that it won't work on the newer Connies due to them having a hex head fork stem nut. You have to replace it with one that lets you slip that mount into a round hole, like Larry's mount.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline bruceg

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
I'm looking to mount a GPS now.  If you removed the stem nut & bolted the ball to the stem nut, how did you reinstall the stem nut?  I hope that makes sense?   :o

You don't remove the stem nut. Just the plastic cap. Put a washer on the ball stem, put the stem in the hole, and put a washer and nut on the stem from the bottom side. You can do it with a socket and the right length extension.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:12:26 PM by bruceg »

Offline lolife

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
You don't remove the stem nut. Just the plastic cap. Put a washer on the ball stem, put the stem in the hole, and put a washer and nut on the stem from the bottom side. You can do it was a socket and the right length extension.

Honestly...I looked the first time to see if you could get to the bottom of the nut but didn't see the hole in the bottom tree.  I looked again tonight & yes while putting a washer & nut from the bottom is going to be tedious, I believe that is how I will mount my GPS.

Seriously...thanks a ton.  I had just about given up & decided to order a Techmount.  You've saved me $75 minimum.   ;D

I owe ya

Offline wpbweb

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
I was told by two of the sellers of this part that it won't work on the newer Connies due to them having a hex head fork stem nut. You have to replace it with one that lets you slip that mount into a round hole, like Larry's mount.

Not true...this worked perfect on my 2011 C14

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
Not true...this worked perfect on my 2011 C14

So, you just went ahead and stuck it in through the hex hole and tightened it up? Did you have any issues with it being tight at the top but loose at the bottom? Seems like that would allow it to rock
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
Honestly...I looked the first time to see if you could get to the bottom of the nut but didn't see the hole in the bottom tree.  I looked again tonight & yes while putting a washer & nut from the bottom is going to be tedious, I believe that is how I will mount my GPS.

Seriously...thanks a ton.  I had just about given up & decided to order a Techmount.  You've saved me $75 minimum.   ;D

I owe ya

I like this idea but find that my long socket extension is too long and won't go in because of fender interference, and I don't have enough shorter ones to reach all the way up inside there. I need more tools for Christmas!!!