Author Topic: Ideal C14 top box advice needed  (Read 3750 times)

Offline witblits

Ideal C14 top box advice needed
« on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
Hello. Looking for some advice. Want to add a top box to my black 2014 C14. Been looking at the Givi Monokey series. Any suggestions on model/best mounting plate options? 46L and up probably best and backrest preferred. If you have experience to share it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Ideal C14 top box advice needed
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
You said "Backrest preferred", Before you buy a trunk with attached backrest, try the trunk alone. The C-14 doesn't have a lot of room and some people report the BR crowds the passenger. You can always order it later if there's room.
If you want a BR without the trunk, Pirates-Lair has one complete with rack. You'd need to move his rack forward to use with a trunk as it sits too far forward.
The Givi Monokey mount is probably the neatest one and they have a variety of sizes.
The newer OEM trunks are made by Givi and use the Monokey system. Beware though, earlier ones were Monolock and required a mounting plate.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline O.C.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
You said "Backrest preferred", Before you buy a trunk with attached backrest, try the trunk alone. The C-14 doesn't have a lot of room and some people report the BR crowds the passenger. You can always order it later if there's room.
If you want a BR without the trunk, Pirates-Lair has one complete with rack. You'd need to move his rack forward to use with a trunk as it sits too far forward.
The Givi Monokey mount is probably the neatest one and they have a variety of sizes.
The newer OEM trunks are made by Givi and use the Monokey system. Beware though, earlier ones were Monolock and required a mounting plate.

I have one of Phil's mounting plates (Monokey) which is fitted with a Givi Maxia Top Box

The whole set up is well manufactured and secure  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
 :offtopic: I know, but with a name like "Witblitz", you can only be a Boertjie. (White South African Male for our English speaking friends)

Welcome to the forum.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
The plastic rack that comes with the C14 stock allows a case to wobble in a scary manner at a stop.  I can't imagine what it would do at high speed. (A case does affect high speed handling). I have a Phil's rack, not cheap but you won't regret it, fine product.  Givi 46L on it, although I rarely use it.  Only on big trips or when giving ladies a ride so they have something to lean against.  I got a cushion that was an OEM Givi part and mounted it.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PaydayGabe

• Winston Wolf wanna-be.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:50:09 PM »
Hey there Witblits,   sure you may have purchased your top box by now,  , but if not heres my 2cents.
    My Connie came w/ a Phil's rack from the p/o , set up for the Givi monkey boxes.   Beautiful Rack.
The factory racks are junk.  Dump it.  Anyway, when the tax refund came home I invested in a Givi V47.
Nothing fancy,  the basic w/ red lens.  It clips to the rack securely,  and compliments the bike just fine.
It closes w/a firm push and opens w/ an airtight suck.  Easy now. Lol.
I place an old dish sponge  between the rack and box ,  it eliminates some minor rattling.  Very happy
w/both components .   G. in Vegas.
2009 gen-1  w/ farkles.

Offline witblits

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing info guys. The links were really helpful. Been lazy on the forum through winter and now woke up and need to order soon.

"Backrest preferred" was probably not the best description. I meant I would attach the Givi backrest foam pad to the top box if it did not take up too much room. The wife prefers the stock seat as she feels safer that when I put the Corbin modular seat on. I'm hoping the top box will let her feel safer so I can go back to the Corbin. I'll take your advice Philip and order the back rest pad later.

After checking out all the links I think I will go with O.C's set up. The E55NT looks swish. Go big or go home right? I don't think I have ever used paypal (typically avoid due to associating it with phishing scams) but the Phil's rack seems to be the way to go so I'll have to figure it out.

Hooligan....howzit! You got me boet. Boytjie from the windy city living in Canada. Chose the name when I was riding the R1 that was recently sold to get the C14. The ou vrou wants to ride pillion and that's tough on an R1. I miss that bike a stack. Was a woes ride.

Again...thanks all for the great feedback.
Come on summer!